Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/17/14  (Read 7148 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +706
Weekend Update 8/17/14
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

chicken45

• Crew
  • The guy who made DKS pee that one time.
  • Respect: +664
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Weekend Update 8/17/14
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
L.O. FREAKING L. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Josh "John" Surkosky
Darth Vader of Penn State
PRRT&HS Member
Bass Trombone Enthusiast
Bearded Dynamo
Kentucky Colonel

The Pig 
The pig, if I am not mistaken;
Supplies us sausage, ham, and bacon.
Let others say his heart is big—
I call it stupid of the pig.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +376
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Work continues on the helix. The Gandy Dancers came over and got the support rods fully installed, and the first turn secured. Thanks to them, I also have the deck for the next two turn cut and ready for installation.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +1380
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
The Free-moNebraska scenery workshop is now open!

Support CGNscale on Patreon!

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +332
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
The GP9 has (finally!) emerged from the paint shop!   More details and pics posted here:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31130.msg387933#msg387933

Thanks!

Ed

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1674
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:36:19 PM »
Working on a plan to expand the Seaboard Central with a second HCD (see my thread in the Layout Engineering Forum):

I may make a run to the home center for a new HCD this weekend, but, let's face it, I'm stuck at a stand still with Atlas Code 55 continuing to be mostly unavailable.  I guess it's time for me to call in all favors for some unused track pieces that any asshats may have lying around.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +750
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 01:10:28 AM »
During this last week of my summer holidays, I have been working to try and get some long term projects toward the finish line.

I suffered two significant setbacks with my scratchbuilt model of cook diner car BCOL 6508.  The ORO decals I have been holding on to for ages were the wrong size and looked obviously so on the model.  New decals had to be rendered and printed.  More significantly, at some point one of the scratchbuilt vestibule steps vanished off the model, taking a piece of the floor with it.  No idea when or where it went.  No option but to build a replacement.  In anticipation of another forthcoming passenger car build, I made four:

These are the Pullman three tread variety.  Of ourse, the one which vanished off the model had to be the one with the quarter round housing for the brake chain on the top step.  Here is the replacement:

The missing piece of floor was replaced, and the new step glued in place.

Top View:

Bottom View:

It now requires a coat of black paint to blend with the rest of the vestibule floor and underframe.

I also completed edging all of the windows for my three museum train coaches with a silver marker.  Cutting out and edging 72 windows is something I would not care to repeat.  Here is a trial fit of one side with windows edged - the effect is subtle but noticeable:

I also cut out strips of styrene to go behind the windows and represent the blinds.  These coaches had sheets of plywood along the inside walls to protect the museum artifacts so the blinds were almost always down.  These strips will be painted the appropriate colours:

So next up is window pane installation, window blind installation, and decals.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:10:44 AM »
Another week, another rent-a-wreck for me.   :D

Still need to finish weathering the engineer side battery box, but not bad overall.  One of these days, I'll start experimenting with Z Scale couplers...   :oops:

Cheers,
Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1823
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »

Tim

Tim, the car sides look very wavy in that photo.  Is that just light playing tricks with the camera, or are the sides really that uneven?
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Tim, your scratchbuilding work is always top notch, even down to the finest details.

I've been away most of the summer, so modelling has been in fits and starts.  I took the plunge and finally secured the bridge to the scenery this week.  I have begun to do the base scenery, laying down a layer of paint to secure various tints of tinted grouts.  I have prepared a large batch of talus from casting fragments and tinted it as well, so this work will progress quickly.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +750
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »
Tim, the car sides look very wavy in that photo.  Is that just light playing tricks with the camera, or are the sides really that uneven?

Combination of both I think.  Difficult to light the subject without much reflection as the models have been heavily gloss coated for decals.  Also these are resin castings of handbuilt models so there is a degree of unevenness.

Tim, your scratchbuilding work is always top notch, even down to the finest details.

Thank you Scott; probably my most enjoyable part of the hobby.  Diorama is coming along nicely.

Don't forget to include the salmon when pouring the water; tiny slivers of foil with some red paint should do the trick . . .  8)

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3403
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
I took advantage of the dry, hot weather and made repairs to the garden railroad... Fixed some loose trestle bents, regraded the approaches to the trestle, replaced some ballast that had washed away, and tightened the rail clamps. I used metal stakes to hold back the rocks and pavers behind the trestle abutments.

A southbound Rio Grande Southern mixed freight crosses the trestle at Bilk, CO en route to Vance Junction and eventually Telluride.

Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
The GP9 has (finally!) emerged from the paint shop!   More details and pics posted here:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31130.msg387933#msg387933

Thanks!

Ed

Oh, Ed? Model looks tremendous, but isn't that the wrong shade of blue for your favorite road?
Peter Pfotenhauer

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Partying like it's still 1944
  • Respect: +177
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
So I'm wrapping up work here at Camp Dark Waters.
All the campers and CITs went home this morning.

I still need to take advantage of the scroll-saw to cut my bridge abutments and the support for my Irish Nn3 layout.
I'd hate to have to cut these resin slabs with just my razor saw.

Other than that, once I'm home I need to get a decoder into my electrically MU'ed brass F3 A-B set, and a coupler on the back. I plan to run a decent length freight at Bedford, and my Kato A-B pair is out of commission, so it's up to the brass pair to save the day.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +492
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
This week I spent a few days in Japan and bought some stuff. I got a full Shinkansen 500 series and the N'EX 259 series as well as a ton of vehicles and a Greenmax subway kit. Prices were very good which makes me wonder what we are doing wrong in the US... The 500 was about $250 for a full 16 car set. A 4 pack of vehicles was $11 and that subway kit was also $11.

I really need to find a supplier for these Greenmax kits as they look like I can kitbash.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me