Author Topic: N scale rapid prototyping potential - the LittleRP resin printer  (Read 1483 times)

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
    • N Scale Rail
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/362246155/littlerp-affordable-flexible-open-3d-resin-printer

The most impressive prints are on the Make interview page with the company owner and creator Brad Hill:
http://makezine.com/2014/08/11/five-minutes-with-brad-hill-and-the-littlerp-3d-printer/

I haven't backed this but it really does look impressive for small prints.
Tim Watson

My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Modeling a version of the Jay Street Connecting RR. in Brooklyn.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +838
Re: N scale rapid prototyping potential - the LittleRP resin printer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
Yes, very impressive. The huge reduction in aliasing says a lot for it. Build size as offered will limit it to detail parts, possibly something as large as a loco cab and nose. Probably not good for complete shells for full-sized stuff since a 40' car would max-out the usable build area.

I'm going to seriously contemplate backing this as I think the resolution/cost threshold has been crossed, and I have specific projects in mind this would be great for.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »
Very cool,  I don't know much about 3d printing but I sent the link to my makerspace, seems like something they might kick in for.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2446
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Supposedly a few weeks ago there was a 3-D convention in Youngstown. From what I read in the paper they were going to have a bunch of desktop 3-D printers and put them to the test to compare their output, see who is the best...

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
the jump in price for a projector is 400 dollars.
I'll bite, what is a projector?

I like the resolution I see
I am not sure I'd call that a low price.
victor

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing this info. I have to say that I really don't understand the linkage between 3D printers and "fantasy figurines", for lack of a better word.  I guess the engineers also like this sort of stuff (which is fine), but it seems like every new manufacturer who comes along trots out similar samples. Kinda the 3D version of Old West laser cut kits.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
the jump in price for a projector is 400 dollars.
I'll bite, what is a projector?

The projector is the light source that "fuses" the resin.  It is explained towards the end of the page after the sample prints.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
I want better words....

I think I know what the projector does... it emits UV light as far as I can tell...
so what is it besides a flashlight?
and why is it 400 bucks?

I went and re-read to make sure I  didn't miss anything.

I did notice from the first read that it mentions resolutions that are similar to computer screens

victor

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
I'm not impressed... looking at the first shot on the interview page shows significant banding that affects the look of the parts.  Below is the link... click to enlarge...

https://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/9agz3ei.jpg

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +838
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »
I want better words....

The "projector" is a regular office-meeting-type presentation projector, something you normally hook-up to your computer to project your monitor onto a wall or screen in a large format so a group can view it. I think it's an inspired approach to the optics and imaging engine.

A weakness is there (appears) to be no dust cover for the mirror area. Yeah, you can dust it off with canned air, but the less you have to mess with cleaning a first-surface mirror the better off you're going to be.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +133
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
I'm not impressed... looking at the first shot on the interview page shows significant banding that affects the look of the parts.  Below is the link... click to enlarge...

That image is listed as an example of 25 micron layer height.  They have other photos down to 15 micron.

Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »

You do realize that telephone pole in the pick is the end of a toothpick? I'd bet that the banding isn't even visible to most naked eyes..

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +407
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
25 microns equals an N-scale .160 inches.   15 microns equals an N-scale .096 inches.  That's pretty good resolution, and with a coat of paint, the stepping would be difficult to see, especially 15 micron resolution parts.

As for price, about a year ago, I did some research and the 3D printer that fit my N-scale needs was the EnvisionTEC Perfactory 4 Mini XL.  Its build envelope is 4.5" X 2.8" X 9.1" and its highest resolution is .0004", or .064 N-scale inches.  The price on this unit, plus the necessary curing fixture was right at $135,000.

The Perfactory process allows 12 different materials to be used, including several that are specifically formulated to allow direct rubber vulcanized molds to be made so I can produce wax-injection molds for brass investment casting.

But, 135 grand is a lot of greenbacks, and when I win the lottery, I'll buy a couple!

This little printer does nearly the same job (minus all the material choices and larger build envelope) for a hell of a lot less.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:43:28 PM by robert3985 »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
Thanks, Mike... that shot really shows great potential for this printer... wonder if we could get Shapeways to buy some?

On another front, Amazon has announced that they were stepping into the Rapid Prototyping market, though I have not read anything about how good their offerings will be.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
I just learned my middle school has two new 3D printers for our STEM lab through  a grant.  No idea which ones, and clueless on using any sort of CAD program here, but I may be spending some "professional development" time afer school investigating opportunities.
Peter Pfotenhauer