Author Topic: Bachmann DCC GP7's and JMRI DecoderPro3  (Read 2305 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bachmann DCC GP7's and JMRI DecoderPro3
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
Allen,
if you go and read the instructions I pointed to earlier you will see *ALL* the CVs which exist on that decoder. There are very few. You cant set or read CVs which do not exits.  :)

EDIT:  I don't understand why everybody blames Lenz for all the basic decoders out there (Bachmann, Atlas...).  Maybe because Lenz just happened to be one of the founding companies which came up with DCC standard and specs?  If that is the case then every DCc decoder out there has some Lenz in it.  :D

I have a strong feeling that the Bachmann engineers in China designed that basic decoder from scratch themselves. They even obtained their own manufacturers ID.  Lenz? Neah!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:11:06 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
Allen,
if you go and read the instructions I pointed to earlier you will see *ALL* the CVs which exist on that decoder. There are very few.

I did thank you, but when I go an open the JMRI/Bachmann page and it shows an option for a full blown speed table, it makes one believe that the chip has the capability?  There's nothing there or anywhere else that says it can or can't be done.
The trouble is, even using my own throttle I was not able to reprogram ANYTHING.  So not being able to program the chip with the throttle or JMRI, then I have no way to cross test to see if the chip is not responding or if the speed table is not an option?

Which is why I posted here to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

You cant set or read CVs which do not exits.  :)
Really?   :facepalm:

Thanks for your help.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
Use the bulb trick
It works

Better solution = rip out the decoder and hardware new

Ep

+1

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »

I did thank you, but when I go an open the JMRI/Bachmann page and it shows an option for a full blown speed table, it makes one believe that the chip has the capability?  There's nothing there or anywhere else that says it can or can't be done.
The trouble is, even using my own throttle I was not able to reprogram ANYTHING.  So not being able to program the chip with the throttle or JMRI, then I have no way to cross test to see if the chip is not responding or if the speed table is not an option?

Which is why I posted here to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Really?   :facepalm:

Thanks for your help.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but have you considered the fact that JMRI is just bunch of geeks who on their own time write the code and provide support?  Is it possible that they just used a standard template for the Bachmann decoder, without actually checking what its real capabilities are?  If Bachmann manual doesn't show that speed tables are available, I would go with that (and not with what JMRI shows).

But since I'm not being helpful to you, I'll shut up now.
. . . 42 . . .