Author Topic: New Truck Side Frame option for MTL SW1500  (Read 3169 times)

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: New Truck Side Frame option for MTL SW1500
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »
Some of the comments are pretty rough... Toward TRW.   :facepalm:

Yeah cry me a river.   I guess some folks just can't take any criticism at all, even when it is offered in a genuinely loving and constructive manner.    :-X  :-X  :-X

Ed
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:01:53 AM by ednadolski »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »
I hate it when various boards rip on each other. I feel more comfortable over here on TRW, but to each their own. I hope that Joe will continue to post info over here, and am a bit surprised and disappointed to learn that this topic was not posted over here (unless I missed it). I know that MTL and Joe catch some flak from time to time, but I had hoped that the positive aspects out weighed the negative. Anyhow, the side frames look nice.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1877
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:29:49 AM »
I appreciate the honesty and like minded goals of TRW members. I've noticed some of the people on the other boards act like we should be happy with whatever manufacturers put out.

Thank you TRW members for keeping it real.  :ashat:
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:00:37 AM »
Somebody must have complained enough that MTL re-tooled the sidefreames. Weather it was here or elsewhere.

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Yeah cry me a river.   I guess some folks just can't take any criticism at all, even when it is offered in a genuinely loving and constructive manner.    :-X  :-X  :-X

Ed

'loving and constructive'??? Bull spit!!!!!!

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
It's called Forum Envy!

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
At the significant risk of starting a needless war I am forced to mention that the definition of "constructive criticism" is a wide and moving target. There can be no doubt that when a mfg posts a new item here they better expect some comments that point out either real or perceived flaws or short comings. That's why we do it (or, at least why many do it). That said, some members here seem to feel that regardless of whether their critique is 100% factual, based on learned opinion, a simple opinion or preference or is a wild arsed guess, they have to present it as an attack; in an aggressive and provocative manner. That tends to get people's backs up; as it rightly should.

Look; English isn't an exact science and most of the time everyone needs to take a chill pill and realize that a written statement on a website can't be taken for anything more than an inexact attempt to express an opinion, without the benefit of human contact and context. I'm a guilty as the next guy of getting all riled up reading someone's comments only to re-read them an hour later and realize I was reading into the words.... Be that as it may, taking a second to think about how we express a critique and being sure we are trying to improve the product as opposed to impressing the masses with our wit and wisdom is a good idea. That handles 99.9 percent of the comment issues; the .1% being related to needless and unacceptable personal attacks and our moderators have a history of dealing with that so it need not be worried about.

Just my .02 cents worth..............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
So, back to the topic at hand . . .

I couldn't tell from the TB discussion if these are meant to simply be snapped onto the truck frames to replace the current AAR's, or will they be a whole new assembly.  I'd actually like the former approach, cause the MTL could sell a ton of them for folks wanting to change out sideframes on other two axle locos.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
There is a difference.

"The hood scales out to 6 scale inches too wide."  - Fact.

"No surprises...the hood is WAAAY too wide!  It looks like a turd!  These guys can't do anything right!  They're either lazy or criminally negligent!  They're just in it for the collector crowd and hate us proto guys!"  - Crap.

Simple.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
There is a difference.

"The hood scales out to 6 scale inches too wide."  - Fact.

"No surprises...the hood is WAAAY too wide!  It looks like a turd!  These guys can't do anything right!  They're either lazy or criminally negligent!  They're just in it for the collector crowd and hate us proto guys!"  - Crap.

Simple.

This should be a sticky post at the top of the product discussion forum.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
Some of the comments are pretty rough... Toward TRW.   :facepalm:

I guess you can't please everyone.  I take those comments personally, like I am some as-shole that enjoys leading a group of supposed villains. 

When I post my own work here, I expect a mix of constructive criticism, positive comments, and one or two troll/mean comments.  And after replies come in that are composed of this distribution, I certainly don't run off to another board and complain about that RW sits somewhere between the 5th and 9th circles of hell. :tommann:

But maybe I will...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
...leading a group of supposed villains.

You mean you aren't? :trollface:

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
Another good reason to round up the product discussions into its own section. Improves the signal to noise ratio of modeling work in the other sections.