Author Topic: OK, another candidate for New England area factory?  (Read 1226 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
OK, another candidate for New England area factory?
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »
I'm going to miss MP kits ... now that I need early US-European inspired industrial buildings for my layout. I realize they had great kitbashing options.
Judges, what's the verdict on this one? Massachusetts 1890 or not?

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: OK, another candidate for New England area factory?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »

I'm not seeing anything...

Hmm... me either...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
The Kibri #7230 factory makes for a great Northeastern turn-of-the-century industry. It's pricey and not the easiest to bash, but the results are worth it.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:44:34 AM »
Hmmm. I forgot the picture....(friends over for drinks last night). It's just the prelim construction and I have to fill and smooth seams and otherwise tighten up the material. I'm wondering if clerestory windows might be more appropriate instead of the low wall just below the eaves.

I'm wondering if there should be a tower with  this thing; those old factories seemed to have towers for some reason. Plus a huge brick chimney.
Yes, DKS, that Kibri factory is a beauty for bashing. And it has a tower... just needs American-style windows.

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
I trust that you are familiar with this kit, the prototype of which was built in 1883?  The structure is full size - no selective compression.

http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/nmiddlesexmc.htm

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm going to miss MP kits ... now that I need early US-European inspired industrial buildings for my layout. I realize they had great kitbashing options.

Um, supposedly MRC picked up the Model Power line of products.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
I trust that you are familiar with this kit, the prototype of which was built in 1883?  The structure is full size - no selective compression.

http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/nmiddlesexmc.htm

Well maybe some folks were aware, but I wasn't.  That's a nice looking building, Paul.
Say... the page you linked us to has "Atlas HO Structures" written in the black border stripe along the left side of
the photo, even though it is a description page for the N scale model.  That might confuse people.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
Heljan and a few other European manufacturers were the makers of these kits and offer them under their own name as well.  While I wouldn't buy a Walthers N catalog it is always worthwhile to check on the Walthers website to see what is available... then find someone who carries the kits.  It is a rare thing when the cheap structures disappear... they just usually are dropped by the line that carried them but still available.