Author Topic: Unnamed shortline, HO scale in 11x9  (Read 3561 times)

timgill

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Unnamed shortline, HO scale in 11x9
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
So, my father and I started a project about a year ago in an 11x9 space in his garage. We have finished benchwork and shelving. Originally, the plan was for this to be an N scale layout, but recent discussions have lead us to decide to move into HO scale.

I decided to draft a plan, using the existing benchwork as a guide. We have maximized the potential space and don't have room to expand, especially with the aisles that we have decided on. For inspiration, the plan is largely based on Andy Sperandeo's San Jacinto District, which is a plan of similar size.

Andy's plan, however, allowed for deeper shelves than we have constructed, so I've had to do some compressing, especially in the case of the yard at the bottom of the plan. This is the area I need a little help fine-tuning.

Any suggestions on improving the yard, functionally or visually, would be helpful. Our intention is to keep things simple and relaxed in relation to the available space.
-Tim Gill
Subscribe to/Visit my Model Railraoding blog: www.marmionvalley.blogspot.com

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Re: Unnamed shortline, HO scale in 11x9
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Are you open to any type of staging?
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

timgill

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »
Yes, definitely. The long spur at the far left is intended to be a semi-hidden staging/fiddle track. However, I would like to include more if possible. The only caveat is that we want to maximize the amount of "onstage" real estate, which is a bit limited given the 14 and 18 inch shelf depths.
-Tim Gill

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Just quickly looking at the yard, if you want at least two operators, I'd suggest putting in a yard lead for switching duties.  Otherwise, you're tying up the main line.  Maybe have a dual usage yard lead/siding to the center peninsula  instead of having that peninsula switch come off of the main. 

timgill

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
Here's something that's a little closer to a finished idea. This actually combines some aspects of the Andy Sperandeo San Jacinto Distrcit with a Lance Mindheim plan that we were originally using for our N-scale plan in the same space.

In this version, the linear plan goes something like this:

Staging/Fiddle ---> Yard ---> Intermediate Town ---> Industrial area & Terminus (peninsula)

While there is a connector to allow for continuous running, operationally it would be considered a point-to-point in this regard. This operational scheme is closer to the Mindheim plan.

I did have to include one 18" mainline curve, but most of this allows for a 22" minimum radius elsewhere.

I'd suggest putting in a yard lead for switching duties.

Since this is more of a light branch-line / low traffic operation, lack of a yard lead isn't a big issue in my mind. If anything, ops sessions will be run single-train as a team of conductor/engineer.

I'm happier with both the look and flow of this plan; however, since we are hoping to go Steam era on this one, the one thing that is missing at or near the terminus on the peninsula is a turntable. A WYE, perhaps, at the throat of the peninsula?
-Tim Gill

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:14 AM »
my vote is on the "Y" :o
TMM