Author Topic: Overland Brass Little Joe Question  (Read 3395 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Overland Brass Little Joe Question
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
The flywheel was loose on its shaft - IE, it didn't spin along with the driveshaft. It was also free to slide back and forth on the shaft, but didn't seem to want to grab and hold onto anything when pushed to the extreme in either direction. So, I pushed it "forward" (away from the motor) as far as it would go and then put some CA in the hole on the "outside" of the flywheel (the side farthest away from the motor) to fix it in place.

Cheers,
-Mark

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
OK.

I hate to tell you, but that is not good.

The deeper question is why that flywheel "came loose."

As you know, the motor shaft is steel and it is not tapered.   So for the flywheel to come loose in the first place, I can only think of a couple of reasons.....

1. Very very poor tolerances when the flywheel hole was drilled.  Enough that it was BARELY snug when pressed on at the factory, but then just the warming of the motor was enough that it expanded and came loose.

The above seems a bit unlikely by itself......but...

2.  The flywheel hit some obstruction. This could come from the shell or the frame.  We already know that the solder blob was touching.  Now we have an extra source of heat.

My guess is that 1 and 2 are at play together.

And here is the real problem now.... once the flywheel comes loose and the motor shaft spins in the hole, it ever-so-slightly reams out the hole.  So the flywheel is never the same.   I have see this happen when I have tried to "mill" and shape a flywheel without a lathe.  Just place a flywheel on a wormshaft and chuck it in a motor tool.  Cut spinning flywheel with a sharp file.  Everything is fine until the flywheel gets hot from the cutting.  Then it comes loose----and it is never the same.

So at a very bare minimum, the flywheels on this loco should be replaced.

It will have to be pretty much disassembled to rebuild the motors.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
This is what they should have placed in this loco.

This is a shot from your website.  It is the LL E6 chassis with plastic frame.

BIG skewed armature 5 pole motor with two BIG flywheels.
That motor could run this loco.
And then you wouldn't have that motor balancing issue.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
Oddly enough, it seems like the side with the "fixed" flywheel is the quieter side. When I had the motors isolated from each other, that side ran relatively quietly from top to bottom, whereas the other side was much noisier (until it reached the magic "happy speed" where it finally quieted down).

Of course, if you replace the motors and flywheels it's all a moot point  :D

Cheers,
-Mark

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
My guess without testing is that the flywheel you moved is obviously not rubbing the solder blob.

The other one may still be doing it.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist