Author Topic: Santa Fe Piggy question  (Read 1237 times)

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
Santa Fe Piggy question
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
Please educate me:

Say your ATSF power is F45s and SD45s in the pinstripe scheme. What types of piggy paint schemes would be found behind them? Would Trainworx's red - lettered trailers be found behind them or would the trailers with the crosshairs with wings logos be more appropriate?

Thanks.
Buffering...

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2012
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Santa Fe Piggy question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
OK, that one I can actually help with.   I model '72, the year that the Super C was running strong, the first year of the yellowbonnet paint scheme, and when the FP45's had just been bumped down into intermodal service.

In that year, there was a SOLID mix of both the red "Santa Fe" side trailers and the "blue winged herald" that replace it.  You wouldn't see the red "Santa Fe" on anything longer than 40' trailers though; the first 45's were on the more modern scheme.

The pinstripe scheme on diesels lasted well into the mid 70's.  Each year you saw proportionately fewer of the red "Santa Fe" trailers as lengths grew and so did the replacement of longer cars to handle them.   I don't know what the exact first year was of the winged small herald, I'll say about 1971 but I could be off a year.   I know they were around in '72 at least - the 1972 annual report featured a trailer in the lift at Hobart.

About the only thing you really can't get away with is the blue "Santa Fe" sided trailers, those were well into 1979 to early-80's and are pretty much exclusively with the yellowbonnet scheme.

The TrainWorx trailers are very well done, I've collected at least one of each.   The one that's really needed though is the Flexi-Van side door NYC scheme, that was more common on the Super C than some of the Santa Fe trailers.

Here's a particularly nice 1975 Super C bicentennial shot with both schemes of trailers in it:  http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=282023&nseq=2

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:59:19 PM by randgust »

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:10:42 AM »
Both schemes are indeed good.  Not much to add to what Randy said, except...

There wouldn't have been hardly any 45 footers, if any at all.  All 40 footers until the late 70s.
Also it would be appropriate to mix in some of the Athearn Penn Central trailers, if you can get your hands on them.  If you see them on eBay you'll be bidding against me though.   :D

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2012
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »
Oh, so you're that guy?   :D

I'd started my Super C out as sort of a 'circus train' of interesting and typical trailers, that was before the availability of the right trailers and schemes so I'm trying to redo as many as I can.   And yeah, the NYC circle logo flexivans and containers, about 40-50% Santa Fe trailers, a handful of oddballs, PC trailers, that's about it.  The N Scale Kits flexivan spine cars (as modified by ATSF) are a neat addition now.

And all weathered up so heavily you can just barely read them, that's the other thing.   You didn't run trailers at 90mph without kicking up some significant dust!

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks very much fellas.

Fear not, the WC layout is well, just taking a couple months off, ...as it were.
Buffering...

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:33:13 PM »
And yeah, the NYC circle logo flexivans and containers, about 40-50% Santa Fe trailers, a handful of oddballs, PC trailers, that's about it.  The N Scale Kits flexivan spine cars (as modified by ATSF) are a neat addition now.

Thanks for that - the Santa Fe  and NYC circle logo decals for the 40' vans are available now too. I have been told that there were  Ringsby Flexi-vans sometimes in the consist, and we have these decals as well as the Penn Central paint scheme ones .

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com