Author Topic: Athearn Challenger in stock anywhere??  (Read 3335 times)

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
Re: Athearn Challenger in stock anywhere??
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 02:47:33 AM »
Well let's see what shows up in mailbox. Item # is 22921. Don't know if an Athearn # or the vendors.
 Wish I still had the old Con-Cor loco.
 Joe D

Viperjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 04:38:01 AM »
I have a Denver rio grand challenger very lightly used for 325.00 if your interested

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
Uh, thanks Jim. But I ordered 1 from Trainland.
 Joe D

Jmwilson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
yea it has the remote and I'm on my second one because it melted the tender within the first 30 min I had it. never thought about changing out the decoder either which is a good option if I'm gonna keep it

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Well let's see what shows up in mailbox. Item # is 22921. Don't know if an Athearn # or the vendors.
 Joe D

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH22921

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
 Joe D

I've got a ConCor Challenger which still runs well.  It's now a roundhouse queen, with only the rear of the tender being visible.  The TSU equipped Athearn Challengers run and look exponentially better than the "old iron"...plus, they've got Tsunami sound.

The default sound settings aren't all that great.  When you get yours, John Colombo (jdcolombo) and I have our own settings which greatly improve the sound as well as how it runs.

I prefer to let the decoder do the smooth acceleration and deceleration, and so when I operate both my Big Boys and my Challengers, after the bell and whistle, I jack my speed immediately up to "6" on my Digitrax throttle...the engine accelerates slowly and smoothly up to yard speed...then when I'm clear, I jack my throttle again immediately up to "10"...and the engine accelerates smoothly up to a medium mainline speed.  I do just the opposite when decelerating, but when I suddenly turn my throttle knob down, the engine gets a "light stack" (chuffing quiets way down), you can hear the rod clank very distinctly (which is prototypical for Challengers and Big Boys)...and at lower speeds, the brakes squeal very realistically.  I can't get enough of the sound on these engines, nor the way the TSU decoders integrate the sound with how the engine is being run with what Soundtraxx calls "Hyperdrive Technology"...which sounds like something out of Star Trek.  Whatever it is, it does a great job of matching motion to sound effect...after you reprogram certain CV's.

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
Bob, I run DC.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »
Bob, I run DC.

Well...so did I until I got my first Athearn Challenger.  It (and a couple more) was the chief reason I decided to convert to DCC.

BUT, you'll get some sound out of your Challenger, and they run pretty good on DC.  Still better than the ConCor.

In any case, it's a good purchase and have fun with it!

Joetrain59

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »
Bob, I really like just watching them run. Hope it shows this week:) But now I'm concerned about this melting tender problem. Is there another dual mode decoder I could install?
Thanks,
 Joe D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:31:23 PM by Joetrain59 »