Author Topic: IMRC Bought Someone - Who???  (Read 3251 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: IMRC Bought Someone - Who???
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
I think they USED to be IMRC cars - and then PWRS struck off on it's own - doing specific models that probably would not have been done.

I've always been impressed with PWRS - although I know their somewhat bombastic style has not endeared them to some people.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
Dan Huberman of PWRS/NARC would torch his property to the ground before selling it to IM.  He hates them, and takes every opportunity to bad-mouth them when he gives talks about how to run an MR manufacturing business in the 21st century.

I doubt they would buy Red Caboose either because they basically already did.  Sadly, the quality of the auto-racks has suffered somewhat under their watch.  Deluxe makes some sense to me, and would be most welcome.  LBF/Huberts would as well.

Oh Geezz I forgot about LBF/Huberts:....  they had decent tooling too..
They had at least 10 models floating around out there..  (Plus the same in HO)
If thats the answer, not to say Intermountain would release everything all at once.

Con-Cor would be another possibility.. but likelyhood would be along the same lines as Red-Caboose..

~Ian
~Ian

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Con-Cor would be another possibility.. but likelyhood would be along the same lines as Red-Caboose..

I didn't think about them! Maybe Jim Conway really did retire this time.

Bill McClung works for IM but still decides what to release with RC. Glad he's still involved, he is great for the hobby.

LBF/Huberts was another one I hadn't thought about, but I still doubt seriously it was Bowser. I had been told by a manufacturer that for the price they wanted for their tooling it was likely cheaper to just do new tooling. I was told that they had also pretty much covered most or all of the available road names. So the oppurtunities for sales volume would make it difficult to cover the cost of the purchase.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:17 AM »
Huberts tooling was owned by some county for failure to pay back taxes. If IM could have found a way to purchase that, I Would be very happy.

LBF/Hubers had some very decent modern boxes as well as a 65 and 53 foot gondolas. Those 53 foot gons had almost no sales when Huberts went under and is essentially a totally new model. I grabbed a few from the Huberts inventory clearance years ago. Nice models.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »
Huberts tooling was owned by some county for failure to pay back taxes. If IM could have found a way to purchase that, I Would be very happy.

LBF/Hubers had some very decent modern boxes as well as a 65 and 53 foot gondolas. Those 53 foot gons had almost no sales when Huberts went under and is essentially a totally new model. I grabbed a few from the Huberts inventory clearance years ago. Nice models.

Especially the 65' gons.  The ribbed one is pretty generic and useful - and the corrugated one is a Greenville car that ended up on Conrail at one point.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 02:31:08 AM »
I'd love to see some of the Skyboxes released from Hubert/LBF again.  Those cars are going for way too high for what they are.  Got a few, had about a dozen, sold off half for close to $30 a piece.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 05:32:19 AM »
I'd love to see the Gunderson 60' box car reappear in the TBOX scheme, among others (with a decent brake wheel and better paint).  This would cross #4 off my current top-5 list

Happily, #1 on my current list was recently announced by NARC, and #5 was filled by ExactRail.  It could be time to update it again soon.   :lol:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
I always Thought Hubert/LBF tooling lacked depth or was flat, meaning the ribs were too shallow on everything, not enough relief.
Did anyone else feel that way?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
I always Thought Hubert/LBF tooling lacked depth or was flat, meaning the ribs were too shallow on everything, not enough relief.
Did anyone else feel that way?

I never found that to be a problem, but the story - and who knows the facts on this - is that the tooling was aluminum or something and
deteriorating.