Author Topic: Doubling etching for more depth, any current examples out there?  (Read 3482 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
I have a project that I'm trying to work on that calls for a running board (walkway) that 2 5/8" thick.  In a normal situation I'd be looking at a .015" etch, but with a running board, I thinking the holes would be way too big.  So the idea would be to use two pieces of half the thickness so the running board holes could be much smaller.

Are there any examples like this in any kits that would show if this is a good idea or not.  I guess I'm wondering if two pieces can be consistent enough to look like one when stacked and if any if the undercutting ruins the effect.

Thanks,

Jason

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Doubling etching for more depth, any current examples out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
I would have two questions before considering this method. First, how would you laminate the two etched parts together seamlessly and permanently? Second, how would you paint something with such tiny holes?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
I would have two questions before considering this method. First, how would you laminate the two etched parts together seamlessly and permanently? Second, how would you paint something with such tiny holes?

1 -  I don't know.  At this point I'm figuring that there should be enough surface area to do a lamination somehow.  Also, there are a couple areas on the under piece that I could leave off the holes like where the running board is supported.  That could maybe give enough gluing pads to get the pieces to stay together.  As for being seamless, I guess that's part of my question.  Can it be done to look like one piece.  I could look a creating a fold on the visible side but them I worry about alignment.

2 - The Athearn 50 PS-1 running boards are .010" and they're painted.  What I'm looking at would be in the .0075" range.  I don't know if that would be enough to create a problem.

I didn't want to strip apart my to test this out, but I think I may have some old Plano running boards I could test it out on.

Jason

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:40:04 PM by wcfn100 »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
If you are just looking for smaller holes than Plano and Gold Medal, I think it can be done in one .015" layer. How small is too small Idunno. You could half etch the areas for mounting.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »
If you are just looking for smaller holes than Plano and Gold Medal, I think it can be done in one .015" layer. How small is too small Idunno. You could half etch the areas for mounting.

Looking over the PPD documentation, the smallest line I can draw for a .4mm sheet (closest to .015") would be .48mm or what would be 3" in N scale.  And that value isn't just for the etch lines, but the gaps between.  It doesn't seem like it's even an option.

Maybe I'm missing something.  Can half etch lines be smaller?

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5475
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:07 AM »
I was thinking the holes could be smaller without much problem, but I guess it would leave you with wider solid areas.

As for half etch. I was just thinking one thicker piece instead of two thinner.

With PPD those are guidelines. Thinner stuff might work they just might not try again if it doesn't.

I wonder how those laserboard walkways look, I hear Robb is a fan  :trollface:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
I wonder how those laserboard walkways look, I hear Robb is a fan  :trollface:

Maybe, that's why MT hasn't released anymore PS4427 Covered Hoppers.     :facepalm:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »
I scanned an Athearn etched running board and sent it to PPD and asked if it would be possible to replicate it.  The Athearn rb is .2 mm which is what I'd use for each of the two pieces.  We'll see what they say.

Jason

tankcar

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
I always stack the walkways on my scratched tank cars. I clamp the two halves together, then run a bead of silver bearing arround the edges. I use the solder from Micro Mark. The flux is the key as it makes the solder flow with low heat. I use a 35 W iron. I then clean the edges with a metal grit type fingernail file.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53243414@N00/10179333313/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Click the link to see an example. The walk way is made up of 12 parts.

Regards, Bobby

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:27:22 AM »
I clamp the two halves together, then run a bead of silver bearing arround the edges. I use the solder from Micro Mark. The flux is the key as it makes the solder flow with low heat. I use a 35 W iron. I then clean the edges with a metal grit type fingernail file.

Caution, all soldering techniques must be approved by Robert in advance.  Violators are subject to a detailed description of the full capabilities of a resistance soldering unit.  :D :D :D   (BTW, Nice work on the tank car!)

Jason - do you have a reference/proto pic of what you are trying to accomplish?

Ed

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:29:57 AM by ednadolski »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
Caution, all soldering techniques must be approved by Robert in advance.  Violators are subject to a detailed description of the full capabilities of a resistance soldering unit. 
...and Super Safe water-based flux!  :)

Yeah, I'm also a bit confused as to why someone would actually want to make a walkway thicker.  Even photoetched walkways in N scale are already oversize.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »

Yeah, I'm also a bit confused as to why someone would actually want to make a walkway thicker.  Even photoetched walkways in N scale are already oversize.

For a box car that would be correct since they are usually 1"-1 1/8" thick, but for this tank car the walkway is 2 5/8" thick.  But to try and etch a .4mm sheet, I could never get the walkway holes small enough so I have to look a two .2mm etchings.

Jason

tankcar

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
...and Super Safe water-based flux!  :)

Sorry old chap, thery're not to thick in HO. I suggest you look before you leap.
Super safe water based flux-give me a break.
Do you think I'd go to all the trouble to solder the pieces together just for the fun of it? I build my models to the highest standards possible.

Bobby

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »

Jason

Doesn't MT make that tank car already?    :trollface:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Sorry old chap, thery're not to thick in HO. I suggest you look before you leap.
Super safe water based flux-give me a break.
Do you think I'd go to all the trouble to solder the pieces together just for the fun of it? I build my models to the highest standards possible.

Bobby

LOL!
We're discussing N scale car here (not Horriby Oversized).  Aren't we? :P

Super Safe is a brand name (it would probably still kill you if you took a gulp of it)!   :)  Looks like you haven't seen Robert's soldering tutorial yet.  You have to learn to chill Bobby.  :D

Jason, now I understand what you are trying to achieve, but are the entire walkways that thick or just the edges?  That car does look like the MT car (with Delrin walkways).

. . . 42 . . .