Author Topic: MT Weathered July  (Read 3128 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: MT Weathered July
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »

Banksy (famous artist) paints a UP boxcar.....   UP sells the boxcar for $2million to art collector.   Does Banksy deserve anything????

If a tree falls in the forest... :D

Another question would include any trademarked images - like the Smurftastic hopper or the Mario example above.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »
Has Micro-Trains to ask the railroad companies (like UP, BNSF, CN, etc.) for permission if Micro-Trains wants to put Graffiti/tags on the models?

Javier

Well, IIRC UP actually has a policy against models with graffiti. When MT produced the STEEL auto carrier set, they could not use the UP markings on them.  That was part of the licensing agreement.
. . . 42 . . .

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
An old plug door and Mechanical Reefer with a roof walk both with modern graffiti?  :facepalm: :facepalm:   (did someone break into a RR museum and tag stuff up?)

I think the graffiti and weathered stuff from MT is awesome, but older cars with modern tags kills it.

Yup. I'd have grabbed one if it wasn't for the graffiti (and if it was N scale). Love the weathering on these MT cars, but not the graffiti.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:03:23 PM by lock4244 »

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
Well, IIRC UP actually has a policy against models with graffiti. When MT produced the STEEL auto carrier set, they could not use the UP markings on them.  That was part of the licensing agreement.

Thank you for your answer.

I assume that is how UP tries to avoid copycats.

Javier

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Thank you for your answer.

I assume that is how UP tries to avoid copycats.

Javier

I think that UP just doesn't like showing their defected equipment (especially multiplied thousands of times).  They want the UP models to be in pristine condition.  It is an "image" thing.
. . . 42 . . .