Author Topic: More Darwin Award Winners  (Read 3702 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: More Darwin Award Winners
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
Most BNSF locomotives do not operate with flashing ditchlights.  (some one-off exceptions, plus the early BN SD70MAC's)  I believe that is also true for most--if not all--UP locos as well.

From what I've read, it seems like the film crew decided they would go "forgiveness versus permission" with regards to dealing with CSX and it backfired on them.  Very unfortunate that someone decided the rules didn't apply to them.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »
From what I've read, it seems like the film crew decided they would go "forgiveness versus permission" with regards to dealing with CSX and it backfired on them.  Very unfortunate that someone decided the rules didn't apply to them.

Wait... You're saying that some rules are actually there for... our own benefit? Such a foreign concept...
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
Eric:  I know you're being facetious, but there's an old railroad saying:  "Every rule is written in blood."  I've heard similar comments from coal miners, and it's probably true of all heavy industry. 

Of course, that only applies to the real operating rules.  Some of the stuff from upper management doesn't seem to have any real reason, but it also (usually) doesn't get into the formal rulebooks. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 04:25:32 AM »
Eric:  I know you're being facetious, but there's an old railroad saying:  "Every rule is written in blood."  I've heard similar comments from coal miners, and it's probably true of all heavy industry. 

Of course, that only applies to the real operating rules.  Some of the stuff from upper management doesn't seem to have any real reason, but it also (usually) doesn't get into the formal rulebooks.

"Rules written in blood" is definitely something I'm familiar with. My comment was more directed at the untrained, self-entitled individuals who feel that the rules are simply there to inconvenience them.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28157491

Seems about right to me.   Sounds like CSX actually told them to stay off the tracks and they didn't.