Author Topic: Kato Broadway Limited Question  (Read 2270 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Kato Broadway Limited Question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
4402 Aspen Falls is shown in green PC paint in the color guide.  Also Imperial Trees,  Club Creek, Octororo Rapids...

None of these cars are in "deepwater green".

The odd paint job -  if you look at the PC Color Guide - was the one PC car done in stainless with a deepwater green window band.  This is the ex-NH Allyns Point. The paint scheme is described as a "test bed".

Just to add confusion, I believe the PC passenger color was actually called "hunter green" - although it is certainly not the NH Hunter Green. 

As someone who actually saw and rode these trains I assure you that PC passenger cars were not deepwater green.

- Lou
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:03:22 AM by ljudice »

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Here is what I've got so far on the Broadway cars:

10 Car Set:
B70M- multiple cars made it into green
12-4 College Creek- not sure about this car itself but other 12-4 Creek cars made it into green
5 Double Bedroom Lounge Harbor Cove- Not sure about this car or series
Unit Diner- apparently PC redid them in stainless steel, but I need a conformation on that
Rapids 10-6's- I plan to repaint into N&W
Mountain View- not sure if the View series was even used by PC, would anyone know?

4 Car Add on:
Inn series 21 Rommettes- I plan to repaint into N&W
4-4-2 Imperial Series- multiple cars made it into PC green

So that leaves the Harbor Cove, the Unit Diner, and Mountain View to be confirmed or at least cars in the same class.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Thread drift.
I know the Mountain View was used in the Freedom Train and painted up in their blue livery. 
Not sure if it was ever painted anything else.

Back to the thread.
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Here's the response I received from the president of the PCHS:

It was a darker green, more of a "pea soup" color, as it was often referred to.  I like Modelmaster Litchgrun RLM 83 right out of the bottle, but....only in the solvent formula.  I bought a few bottles of this color in the acrylic and it is definitely a different shade, not as good.  I need to revisit this and see what would have to be mixed with the acrylic paint to match the solvent paint.  Frustrating, kind of like with Polly Scale and Floquil, where you never quite knew what the color would look like from batch to batch even though the label has the same name.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
Interesting, I need to check that paint out...

Thanks for the info!

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
One thing you can be sure of is that PC never ran a matched set train.  They were always a mix of green, PRR red, stainless steel, and a few other flavors.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
One thing you can be sure of is that PC never ran a matched set train.  They were always a mix of green, PRR red, stainless steel, and a few other flavors.

And that's one of the reasons I like PC! :D

I've started thinking that I may try and a car or two as fodder for car sides since most of the BL cars are Pullmans and the N&W mostly had Pullman cars.  Has anyone taken a Kato car and used car sides on on?  If I did I would be converting a sleeper into a coach or diner so would anyting special need to be done to convert the cars from one car class to another?

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
Unit Diner- apparently PC redid them in stainless steel, but I need a conformation on that

Actually, No.  The twin-unit diners on the PRR/PC were built by PRR's Altoona Shops, ACF and Budd, but only the Budd cars had stainless steel, most with the slab-sides but a few did have your typical Budd corrugation.  Here are some links to two Budd pairs that still survive to this day, both sets ironically in North Carolina, a corrugated set on the Aberdeen Carolina & Western and a slab-side set on the Great Smoky Mountain RR... just a couple hours drive from me B ) ...

ACWR 300 - nee-PRR 4625
ACWR 301 - nee-PRR 4624
GSMR 8806 - nee-PRR 4622/AMTK 8806
GSMR 8807 - nee-PRR 4623/AMTK 8807

Its worth noting that both sets of cars have received new paint in the past year or so... a good sign that they will continue to be used.  A third Budd twin-unit diner is now the property of the Midwest Railway Preservation Society, PRR 4610/AMTK 8801 and 4611/AMTK 8800.  I also know of one other Budd car set, PRR 4620 and 4621, formerly used on the Artrain and now owned by Mid-America Car Leasing, and a Budd table car that has been on the Seminole Guilf for a number of years without its trucks, but I do not believe that any of the Altoona or ACF cars survived.

Follow-up:

Only one set of ACF twin-unit diners and no Altoona-built twin-unit diners survived long enough to become Penn Central, with 4608 and 44609 being retired and scrapped in 1970.  It is doubtful that either car received full PC paint treatment.

These cars all shared the same window/door arrangement apparently, based on what I am finding on Rob's Pennsy Page website, so a more ambitious modeler could use components of the Kato ACF set to build a Budd car set.  Depending on which ones would be desired it is possible to build a slab-side set with styrene and a pair of Budd roofs while a corrugated set would require roughly 4 corrugated carbodies to create one set.  Too bad, really, but the great Pennsy was, by the time PC was created, a loosing proposition and many cars that could have been saved instead, suffered from neglect and deferred maintenance.  This also included the heavyweight rebuilds that the PRR did, with none of them apparently surviving to the creation of PC either.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:37:21 PM by jmlaboda »