Author Topic: Best Model that will never appear on your layout  (Read 3378 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Best Model that will never appear on your layout
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
A much more modest station example.

This was along the Milwaukee Road Beer Line, but I have changed the portion of the line that I am modeling. Who knows, maybe someday I will change my mind back to the previous plan but for now it is homeless. I should consider a little diorama or something for this scene.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pelago

• Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
which suburb was this in?

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:39 PM »

I know this has been unused for a while but was directed here by a friend because i wanted to build this station,  As a high school kid i worked for Meyers and Smith Paving (they had a shop on LaGrange road and 55th behing MacDonalds) and we paved the sidewalks for this station.  It truly is a work of art and so is your model
Do you have any plans or drawings for this?

Hi, Ira:
Thanks for the compliment.  I can probably find the plans I used for my model of Stone Ave. Station, and I think I also still have the molds used to cast the arches and bases.  I will go look and see what I can find, assuming you are interested to do N-scale.  If you want an HO model, you need to see if you can locate a kit that was put out many years ago by C.C. Crow -- you'd have to Google him and see if he still has a website.

I also sent you a response to your PM, which I saw & responded to before I saw you had resurrected this thread.  I will send you another after I locate my notes.
Regards,
Paul

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Here a pair of tunnel portals I made for my good friend Nate Goodman (Nato) for use on his layout.  Prototypically, these are at Taggarts in Weber Canyon and are further apart.  I'm building a 6' module of the Taggarts Tunnels and bridges, so building these solidified materials and techniques for making ones that are spaced correctly for my module.

Here's a photo of the model installed on Nate's layout:

Here's a photo of the prototype:

I used poplar I bought at The Home Depot, taped each portal to my drafting table and used my parallel rule, scored the form marks with an X-acto knife, then proceeded to carve the cracks and broken concrete with the same blade, file and rifflers.  Cut the portals roughly with my jigsaw, then finished them to my drawn lines with my cylindrical sander. Glued 'em together with yellow carpenter's glue. Finished by brush painting with various shades of Polly Scale concrete, aged concrete, reefer white, and weathered black.

One of a kind.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
Here's another one that won't ever be on my layout, but is on Nate's.

This a fairly highly kitbashed version of Railcat's U.P. Cantilever Signal Bridge kit in etched brass.  I added about 80 scratchbuilt parts and did some mods to make it more correct.  On the section of the U.P. I'm modeling, the longer top overhang length on this bridge isn't used.  They're either shorter, or it's a different, bigger bridge that's used.

Looks pretty good on Nate's layout however.  The older type "D" signal heads I scratch built out of .003" brass using prototype drawings and photos I took long ago as references.