Author Topic: Best Railfan Locations around Denver, CO and Cheyenne, WY  (Read 2162 times)

tappertrainman

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Best Railfan Locations around Denver, CO and Cheyenne, WY
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
Hi All,

The guys in our family are getting together for our every-other-year train trip and this year we're going to Denver.  We have been discussing where we can visit and I'm looking for ideas.  We are flying in early on Friday morning and out on Sunday afternoon.  Our plan is to do Denver on Friday and Saturday morning and drive to Cheyenne, WY to stay there Saturday night.  So far we have the Joint Line and Castle Rock, possibly Moffat Tunnel (if it's reachable by auto), the Colorado Railroad Museum, and the UP facilities and yards around Cheyenne.  What would you say are some MUST SEE places or things train related around Denver and Cheyenne?  For cost reasons, we'll probably avoid the various narrow gauge railroads in the area (thus the reason for Denver and not Durango) and go for inexpensive train watching options.  Any free to the public model railroads that are particularly amazing would be interesting too.  Thanks!

James
Santa Fe all the way!

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Best Railfan Locations around Denver, CO and Cheyenne, WY
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
I like the Big Ten curves, but as they are rather inaccessible, you will need a binoculars to see anything from the roads.

If that Big Boy is still at the Fourney Museum, that might be interesting.   I've never had the chance to see that one myself.  http://www.forneymuseum.org/Featured_Exhibit.html

Ed

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
The Big Ten curves are spectacular, but sorta like Ed said, they're best viewed from a train. As far as Moffat goes, only the west portal is casually accessible, take US40 west to Winter Park. You can get to the east portal via Rollinsville and several miles of unpaved roads. My last two trips through the area found freight traffic to be light-ish, so if you're after maximum action rather than name locations you might factor that into your time budget.

I have an affinity for the giant HO layout in Greeley. If you're traveling between Cheyenne and Denver in your sightseeing, this is right on your route provided you're following the UP.

Best lodging for trainwatching in Cheyenne is Little America Resort right next to the C&S bridge over the UP. I can't tell you how access is to the Cheyenne facility as the last couple of times I was there were with organized tours, so "on your own" might/might not be tolerated. If you look on maps and notice the US85/87 bridge over the yard and think it might be a great vantage point... forget it. It used to be, but it has since been paneled-off expressly to prohibit use as a viewing perch. It's arguably a "limited access" highway now, it's just disappointing that no consideration was given to the tourist attraction aspects. The UP station has been nicely preserved and contains a museum. BNSF traffic there is moderately light, but UP will be running 'em like streetcars, as usual.

I wish I could fill you in better on lineside railfanning points, but nearly every time through (or to) these locales we've been on a schedule. [sigh]

Don't forget Caboose Hobbies in Denver. Huge LHS. Transcendental experience if you've never been.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »

This is the view off my hotel balcony in Denver the next two nights. I'll be looking for spots to see more of the yard, and then it's off to Greeley and then Cheyenne.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:12:30 PM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer