Author Topic: Anyone familiar with this 3D printing company?  (Read 935 times)

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Anyone familiar with this 3D printing company?
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
I got this in my email this morning from a company called Sculpteo:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#ad/491
James R. Will

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Anyone familiar with this 3D printing company?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Links to your own e-mail don't work, Jim. You might cut and paste what you can into a regular TRW thread post.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »
The message is in your email account, to which none of us have access too.  You will need to copy and paste the message here on the forum if you hope to share what was written.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
Or you can just google Sculpteo.  :facepalm:

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/

Jason

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »
Google. Or other search engines. Duh. Use the force, Luke. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Intriguing, however the published specs aren't up to what we can use. Minimum thickness of the detail resin is 2mm, I wouldn't jump on it for things like loco and car shells unless they can be reliable at 1mm or even 0.75mm. They quote "28 microns" resolution (~0.001"). "Polished finish" is a post-process on their part, not a native function of the printer being used.

The pricing model isn't quite as clear as Shapeways, who is upfront about volume = cost. Sculpteo quotes "average" designs of 5 and 8 cm length, but defer to "upload and our calculator will tell you". Business model is somewhat like Shapeways, with more emphasis towards being the silent partner producing your product for delivery to your customers. IOW, not necessarily an end-user orientation.

Bottom line - nice to have an alternative to Shapeways, but even moreso Sculpteo is oriented towards artists and other creators of macro uses of RP.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Sculpteo has a much better 3D preview window than Shapeways. You can rotate the image around in real time with better control and the image is more detailed. I also noticed that it shows the image in whatever material you choose in the 3D preview. I did find some model railroad items but they were mostly French prototypes.
James R. Will

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
I also noticed that it shows the image in whatever material you choose in the 3D preview.

So it shows you all the banding that would occur before you buy, that sounds good.