Author Topic: Atlas U25B extremely disappointed times three...  (Read 3935 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Atlas U25B what a turd, extremely disappointing
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »
My replacement unit for the first flawed one arrived.  Well, no whine and runs like you would expect an Atlas engine to run.  Only two issues, one the engine cuts out intermittently here and there and the rear lights blink on and off when running forward.  This unit runs almost twice as fast as the other one I originally wrote of in this post.  So I guess I am less money out of pocket by packing them up and shipping them to Atlas as opposed to simply returning both units. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
In DC, with LED headlights, the flashing of the headlight opposite to the travel direction is most likely caused by the reverse voltage generated by the motor when the contact with rails is momentarily interrupted. The cause is usually dirty track or wheels (or any other component between the power pack and the LED circuit board).  Your statement that the loco cuts out also seems to indicate a poor contact somewhere.
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
My replacement unit for the first flawed one arrived.  Well, no whine and runs like you would expect an Atlas engine to run.  Only two issues, one the engine cuts out intermittently here and there and the rear lights blink on and off when running forward.  This unit runs almost twice as fast as the other one I originally wrote of in this post.  So I guess I am less money out of pocket by packing them up and shipping them to Atlas as opposed to simply returning both units.

I would have taken the manufacturer's offer and sent the engines back.  I would still do that and send both back for repair.  I'm trying to be understanding of and sympathetic to the situation and the need to vent.  But this is the second thread on the subject, and the cost-free solution was provided in the previous thread on 6/24 and again in this thread by the manufacturer.  Given that, I don't understand the need to continuously harp on it, nor the need for the title of this second thread (and the connotation associated with it) when the manufacturer offered to make good on the product two weeks ago and it was your choice not to take advantage of it.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
As some of you may recall I received a CB&Q U25 and it howled like banshee, puked a bunch of gray liquid, the rear light flickered while going forward and just up and died.  I sent that unit back to the hobby shop I bought it from and I am waiting on its replacement.  In the meantime I decided to purchase the other road number and added it to an order I had with another hobby shop.  Well it arrived today and this unit howls even worse than the first one. The rear light also blinks intermittently while going forward and at first couldn't go fast enough to get out of its way.  I have run it a little longer and the speed has improved but it still runs like crap.  So I have had two units bought from different shops in different states with the same basic issue.  I am extremely disappointed.  I have paid for return shipping on one unit already and I guess I can throw away more money to ship this back for a return.  Point is I should not have two.  One unit issue I could see but two is not acceptable.  These aren't thirty dollar Bachmann junkers.  For these prices they should work out of the box.

What I recall is that Atlas offered to help.

Yet, you start (yet another) spectacularly-worded thread bashing them.   :?

I get that you're frustrated, but come on...give them a chance to help?   You've obviously never dealt with Atlas before, or you'd know that they will make it right, to whatever extent they can.   So much so that they kind of ruin it for other manufacturers by setting the bar so high.

Another tip...depending on your location you probably can schedule to have USPS pick up your package without the need for the trip to the post office.

EDIT: Poor timing with Bryan's post above...not meant to "pile on" at all.   Yet, it's no coincidence either I guess.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:24:57 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
One might think so but I can run any other loco over the same tracks with no issue.  I was running my BLI E8s on both of these tracks with no issues and no sound cut out.  Track condition is A Ok!  My Kato f2 s run just fine also, E5s, PZ all run fine. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
The offer to,send it back was made after I had already shipped it back to the hobby shop I purchased it from, based on the direction of the hobby shop. So I was unable to take up the first offer.  Either way I have to pay shipping back to either said hobby shop or Atlas.  So that is money wasted on my end to get what I should have gotten from the beginning.  I am not sure where this free resolution is from.  So I will make copies of my receipts, pack them, ship them them out to Atlas, after I send them an email per the post above from Atlas.  Also my original post was to advise I had received a shipping notice when I had not seen any shops advertise that they were in stock. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
One might think so but I can run any other loco over the same tracks with no issue.  I was running my BLI E8s on both of these tracks with no issues and no sound cut out.  Track condition is A Ok!  My Kato f2 s run just fine also, E5s, PZ all run fine.

As it has been mentioned multiple times - sent them back to Atlas (after contacting them off-forum and working out the shipping arrangement).
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Atlas U25B extremely disappointed times three...
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
Maybe try running it around for 20 minutes or so? Could just be excess wheel-blackening on the wheel surfaces.

Cheers,
-Mark

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
My new U25B would briefly stall at turnouts with unpowered frogs...

What I found was that some grease from the truck's gear tower had gotten on the brass wipers that make contact with the trucks.  Once I cleaned off the wipers, everything was just hunky-dory.

There was a lot of grease on the gear towers.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »
The offer to,send it back was made after I had already shipped it back to the hobby shop I purchased it from, based on the direction of the hobby shop. So I was unable to take up the first offer.  Either way I have to pay shipping back to either said hobby shop or Atlas.  So that is money wasted on my end to get what I should have gotten from the beginning.  I am not sure where this free resolution is from.  So I will make copies of my receipts, pack them, ship them them out to Atlas, after I send them an email per the post above from Atlas.  Also my original post was to advise I had received a shipping notice when I had not seen any shops advertise that they were in stock.

The offer was made with 24 hours of your first post.  It's not as if manufacturers monitor the Interwebs 24/7.  I understand the frustration, but you've got to be fair.

As an example — I bought two of the BLI Alco PAs decorated in the New Haven "New Image" scheme.  They look exquisite.  But both stopped running after a couple of loops around the test track.  I calmly contacted BLI, and they requested I send the units back for repair.  Not only did they fix the units, but they also replaced the traction tire geared wheels with standard geared wheels at my request and no additional cost.  I got the units back at least three weeks ahead of when they told me they would be returned, and everything's fine.

It's not as if the U25Bs are your only two units, and the lack of their availability is preventing you from enjoying the hobby.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
I edited my title of my original post but it does not appear to flow through.  Not sure if there is a way to update it throughout without having to modify each separate post.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
Re: Atlas U25B
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
The offer was made with 24 hours of your first post.  It's not as if manufacturers monitor the Interwebs 24/7.  I understand the frustration, but you've got to be fair.

As an example — I bought two of the BLI Alco PAs decorated in the New Haven "New Image" scheme.  They look exquisite.  But both stopped running after a couple of loops around the test track.  I calmly contacted BLI, and they requested I send the units back for repair.  Not only did they fix the units, but they also replaced the traction tire geared wheels with standard geared wheels at my request and no additional cost.  I got the units back at least three weeks ahead of when they told me they would be returned, and everything's fine.

It's not as if the U25Bs are your only two units, and the lack of their availability is preventing you from enjoying the hobby.

Bryan I am not sure what the issue is here.  I was simply stating the loco was mailed back to the hobby shop before Atlas made the offer.  The hobbyshop asked me to send it back to them not Atlas.  Had I not already acted I may have shipped it to Atlas instead.  I am not pointing fingers here simply stating the time line.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
Understood.  But it isn't right to continue bashing the product after the manufacturer offered (twice) to make good on the product.  And the fact that the issue wasn't resolved to your satisfaction isn't their fault, because you did not take them up on their offer (regardless of the reasons why) to repair/replace the units.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:59 PM »
That is why I tried to change the title but I do feel the issues are very unusual and worthy of posting in a forum setting.  Odd issues from multiple souces is not the norm.  I personally would never test a new Atlas engine if I was buying it in person, but this info would make me want to.  That is why I am sharing my experience.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »
I think the points here are made known:

• Test engines before buying.
  • Atlas has nice customer service (handled by the COO himself!)