Author Topic: Test Shots: ESM/NSK Portec Auto Rack  (Read 3677 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +996
    • www.bbussey.net
Test Shots: ESM/NSK Portec Auto Rack
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »
You can never say I don't share behind-the-scenes goodies!  8)

Here are some development pics of the Portec low-deck tri-level auto rack kit, a collaboration between Eastern Seaboard Models and N Scale Kits.  The model will ride on ASF 70-ton Ride-Control trucks equipped with 28" diameter metal wheels and has an integrated coupler box that will accept MTL #2004 couplers.  All of these OEM components will be included with the kit.

The flatcar will be a pewter casting.  Samples of the first generation castings were on display in Roanoke.  The master was rendered on a PerFactory printer from a 3D digital model created in SolidWorks.

These first generation castings will be used as masters for rendering the production second generation pewter castings.  Other than the underbody, it will not require painting because it will be fully enclosed by the etched stainless steel nickel-silver wrapper below.

This is from the first test sample to see if the entire deco scheme could be printed on the stainless steel nickel-silver wrapper.  We are very pleased with this first attempt.  A close look gives you a clue as to the first railroad/scheme that will be released.

The only problem we've encountered with the process is that more tabs need to be added to prevent the end sills from getting snagged when the part runs through the process.  This is an easy problem to remedy.

This photo shows the crispness of the printing.  Because the wrapper is etched, we will be able to change the panel configuration as needed per road/scheme.

The wrapper/deck supports and end panels will be polyurethane resin.  The decks will be simple styrene strips since they will be barely visible.  The hope is that the kits will be offered with the wrapper "pre-formed" to simplify the assembly process.

The goal is to have them on the market next summer, but a firm date won't be announced until we are fully in production.  Multiple schemes are planned for release every few months, and there will be multiple car numbers per release.  Current MSRP is unknown but it will be comparable to auto rack models currently on the market.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:42:59 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +484
Re: Test Shots: ESM/NSK Portec Auto Rack
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
Oh hell yes. This folks the tri level void quite nicely.

I take it this will be a RI model?
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
Grand Trunk.  Sweet looking model.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
GTW ex-ROCK.  So we will be able to release two roads before having to change the etchings.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1991
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
Sneaky. I like it.

Kris Grzywacz

• Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Can't wait for them to come out, I hope you do a DT&I also

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
Sneaky. I like it.

Sneaky??  :scared:  No — efficient!  :D

Can't wait for them to come out, I hope you do a DT&I also

This reminds me — if anyone has good photos of this prototype, please send them along to prototype.info@esmc.com and they will be considered strongly for future production.  A ¾ shot definitely, along with close-ups of the printed data if possible.  All roads will be considered ... however, the closer to the Atlantic Ocean that the railroad's headquarters was based, the greater the odds of it being represented!  Thanks!  8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:40:16 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
These look great. Judging by the construction, these will have much better weight to them and should work well in the front of my autorack train.

What's the era on these?

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
These look great. Judging by the construction, these will have much better weight to them and should work well in the front of my autorack train.

What's the era on these?

From the few photos I've seen on RailCarPhotos the earliest build date was 1976. HTH.

Mr. Wallet is safe (I don't know if I should be happy or not (money saved vs. cool kit to build)). Looks like a neat little project.

The S.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
Brian, have you ever thought about some high walkway ACF type 07 tank cars? These would also have to be a composite car made from either resin or plastic and etched metal.

When you really think about it there's not a lot of tank car variety in N scale. Modern cars or vintage cars the selection is limited.

Randy

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Great. GTW first. Ouch.

Nice either way.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +678
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
Please make it clear from the get-go what radius it will actually take.  I couldn't get an Atlas flat to work right on 13", let alone 11", even after grinding frame and bolsters.  The existing N Scale Kits flats I have all work great, but that's with an MT-style coupler swing box.   The Atlas flat really had significant problems with stringlining with that short-shank coupler as well.

You're definitely on to something with those etchings.   I've never seen that done before and it's beautiful work.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:56:50 PM by randgust »

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1781
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
Pre-decorated stainless steel etchings. Interesting.

I wonder if you had these made by Eduard (the company which makes pre-decorated photetched detail parts for model airplane kits), as I don't think there are many companies out there which make this type of product..
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon