Author Topic: Tuscarora Lumber Co. Southern Division - Large Scale outdoor layout  (Read 767 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • HCD module mania!
  • Respect: +1
Watching Dave Vollmer put his layout together outside, combined with the decision to turn my train room into our grand girls/guest bedroom (needed since the Mrs' mother moved in with us late last year) gave me enough motivation to get to work on putting together a new garden layout in the back yard.

The model RR group I'm a part of here (led and organized by our LHS owner, a die hard model railroader and a good friend) has modeled the Tuscarora Lumber Company railroad in HOn3, and currently we're putting together a module system for the Tuscarora River Rail project for this years train show in September in Jacksonville, AR (Sep. 13-14, 2014 - come and see us!). I didn't want to mimic or design around a historical railroad, and the yard is flat as a pancake (even in 1:20.3 scale views) so I've decided (with the blessings of Daryl, the LHS owner and creator of the Tuscarora Lumber Company) to build the Tuscarora Lumber Company - Southern Division, circa 1920's, in the heart of the Arkansas river valley full of lush timber.

I started laying track down on Friday, and as of dark thirty tonight (07/06) I've gotten the mainline, passing track, and one industry siding operational. 2-4-2 light freight steamer #3 has run around the current layout a number of times with minimal problems (a engine/tender coupling system that is going to have to be re-imagined). The little engine is a former PRR steamer that will be re-lettered for the TLC shortly.

Admittedly, it feels great to put an engine on outside tracks again and sit back with an ice cold glass of tea and watch it circle the layout. The centerpiece of the main garden is a 10 year old crepe myrtle and a 4 year old fire bush. Some hostas and dwarf boxwoods are also in the little garden.

More landscaping and plantings will come after I get the rest of the sidings installed, track somewhat level (want some sway and bounce to portray a back woods small budget lumber railroad) and ballasted (lightly).

michael
Jesus is my engineer! :)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • HCD module mania!
Re: Tuscarora Lumber Co. Southern Division - Large Scale outdoor layout
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:01 PM »
Will add some pictures as construction continues. Phase II will lead off the right turnout on the right of picture, track will travel behind a storage shed to the back side of the shed for town #2 (yet to be named). The picture shows town #1, which is tentatively set to be named Conner. Current phase I measured space is 15ft x 22ft. Industries in Conner will include;

small lumber mill
passenger/freight station w/ US mail office
meat processing
local brewery

The main engine roster for the TLC/SD will consist of;

2 - 4-6-0 ten wheelers (Bachmann Anniversary models)
1 - 2-6-0 industry mogul
1 - 2-4-2 light freight
2- 0-4-0  steamers

The ten wheelers will handle a majority of the passenger and LCL traffic. The mogul and 2-4-2 Columbia will handle most of the lumber jobs. The 0-4-0's will be assigned light switching and short local runs for the railroad.

mdt
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:27:17 AM by MichaelT »

MichaelT

• Crew
  • HCD module mania!
Re: Tuscarora Lumber Co. Southern Division - Large Scale outdoor layout
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »
We've had a couple of good storms roll through the last few days and good news! The railroad has no standing water after the rain lets up, and no sign of water running around or through the current track. I do have a couple of places that I'm going to install some short bridge bents just in case, but the rest of the railroad is now ready to level and ballast! Should be able to get most of that done tomorrow and finish installing the remaining three sidings. I should have an operational railroad by tomorrow evening!