Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/6/14  (Read 5318 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Weekend Update 7/6/14
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
LIRR:  Fascinating.  GMM makes safety cage ladders, and I've seen a few pictures of ones  soldered from wire, but I think yours is the first I've seen made from "found" materials.  Looks good, and it's the right color for most such ladders without painting.

I agree--very clever! Just one question... how does one get to the ladder in the first place? (Hint: need a gap at the bottom...)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
Silo will be elevated, it doesn't sit on the ground

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Silo will be elevated, it doesn't sit on the ground

If it does not need an opening on the bottom, it is too short. The cage has to go higher on the top as seen here:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/zarges/hoop-ladders-safety-cage-29585-521222.html

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
The silo is elevated as shown...

So the bottom is fine. A ladder would be placed to provide access to the fixed ladder when needed. As soon as I fixed the cage to the silo I realized it should extend above the top tho. I might extend it or replace with a longer one

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
Nice work Mark, that mill scene is coming together nicely. 

I did some modelling work for the first time in months.  I laid down the rock on the west back of the Fraser River.

Your bridge is amazing!

Craig

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
Scott:

The bridge scene is coming along nicely.  We will have to include it in our Great Canadian Bridge article when you are finished.

The school year is now winding down with one week left to go for me before the summer holidays.  This summer will be spent at home after having to replace my car, so I am hoping to get back to work on the layout after a long hiatus.  After many months of inactivity and dust gathering, I cleaned the operable portion of the layout this weekend in advance of a visit and inspection by a member of the Railwire brass (aka Gary).

I was happy to see that all continues to run well.  Here we see Work Extra 804 cresting the summit of the East Pine hill (aka the helix).  The consist includes my recently completed Minibox power car, a fuel supply flat car, a dozer flat car, the Aztec track cleaning car, and an Atlas caboose:

This weekend I began applying decals to my four Prince George Auxiliary cars.  I am looking forward to finally finishing them this month.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
Happy 4th of July weekend to everyone!...I'm digging the paper mill Mark...  8)

I managed to finish a few projects recently, so here are some pics...The cars are N, except for the tank car...

The MEC caboose I repainted and decaled and weathered..

The ESM cars I weathered...these are GREAT cars...Thanks Bryan!

The Kato Amfleets I weathered the underbodies on, I have not cleaned the wheels yet, but I did protect the power pickup system....I think just weathering the underframes and trucks made these look soooooo much better....These are so cool the way they snap together...I'm thinking some Alclad metalizer next...This will be a new experience for me...Fingers crossed!

And the last was a factory Atlas car I re-numbered and weathered and added a weathering solutions "ICH" decal too, as in this pic...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/sw1000b/Aug.3b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

C'mon man!  Techniques?  I've got a handful of Amfleets, and you've got the weathering dead on!
~ Matt

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
All you had to do was ask!

As for those Amfleets...Weathering those was easy!..The hardest part was masking off all of the copper contact points....Only to decide to use "easy peasy" lighting instead of the track pickup system.. :facepalm:...

So once that's done, spray on rustoleum camo brown, the darker one....Thats it!..I didnt even touch the shells...I used to use Floquil Railroad Tie Brown, but, Floquil is no more.... :oops:...I think my replacement is working fine, however, and I prefer spray cans anyway...This small change made such a HUGE difference in these cars...

As for the other cars, same color on the trucks, and then a mix of flat and a little dark grey/brown mix sprayed on thin........The Conrail painted car did not get this spray, the other two did..I taped off the patches until after the spray.I sprayed a little clear over the tape to prevent bleed......Then some thinned gouache (dark brown, almost black)brushed on and removed with a wet q-tip, leaving paint in the seams..which was not my invention, it just works well.....All 3 got the wash on/wash off treatment..

I hope this helps!...I just try to find a proto pic and do what it shows....I use anything...airbrush, powders, gouache, acrylic, oils....each car is different.....but a good start is washes with thinned(with water) gouache, in at least two tones, rubbed off with a wet q-tip after application...

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »

We will have to include it in our Great Canadian Bridge article when you are finished.

A briliant idea.  There have been so many amazing N Scale Canadian bridges featured here it would be great to see them all in a photo essay format.   I will keep plugging away on the Beatton River Diorama and Fort Nelson River Road-Rail bridge on the layout so that I have something to contribute when the time is right.
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
A briliant idea.  There have been so many amazing N Scale Canadian bridges featured here it would be great to see them all in a photo essay format.   I will keep plugging away on the Beatton River Diorama and Fort Nelson River Road-Rail bridge on the layout so that I have something to contribute when the time is right.

Maybe my Niagara Canyon Bridge will be ready.  I'm just about ready to get the first round of etchings done and then assembly should happen.

Craig

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 02:44:40 AM »
LIRR:  Extending your ladder would be easy.  The cages were made in sections for easier transport, so just add another section.  There's no need to try to hide the joint.
N Kalanaga
Be well

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »

No. Now steak and beans at the Lilly, on the other hand, IS awesome!  :D
Buffering...

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

Maybe my Niagara Canyon Bridge will be ready.  I'm just about ready to get the first round of etchings done and then assembly should happen.

Yes please, and take pictures as you go.  I hope to include as many examples of prototype model bridge building techniques as possible, from kit-bashing to etching and 3D printing.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
I'd be happy to contribute, but I think I will need to step up the level of my photography.