Author Topic: MRC acquires Model Power  (Read 3937 times)

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
Re: MRC acquires Model Power
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:04:28 AM »
I will consider this good news.

MRC understands the ol' electricidad.  Power supplies was their original product.  When it comes to steam, I would hope that they understand Miranda's Maxim as explained by ke, as electricity is the focus of the aforementioned maxim.  Thus, I would hope that the steam would re-appear with upgraded electrical contact.  Most of us are not unwilling to pay for steam that operates well.  Look how well Athearn's big steam sells as does the B-mann EM-1.  Those are expensive creatures.  They pull well, run well, operate well and look good.

Some of MP's other offerings were not bad.  The FP-7 is not a bad locomotive.  In fact, the 'trainset' version may have been that elusive N scale 'entry-level' F-unit of song and story.  All that would be required is that MRC correct the backward wiring.

The buildings made  good bashing fodder.  The kits took well to combining multiples of the same kit to render a larger structure.  The people were inexpensive and acceptable quality.

I never did much with the freight cars, but the passenger cars make good bashing donors.  The HWs also work for PRR modellers..  The corrugateds make good trailer cars for Bachpersonn doodlebugs.

Yes, the MP line has its place in the N scale universe.  I do hope that MRC will keep most of it.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1238
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »

Leave us not forget that MRC has already totally bailed on N scale once (circa 1972). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Cheers,
-Mark

That was 40 years ago. Things may have changed in the company since then. They certainly have in the hobby.

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
 :D
  the MRC Imported NKP Berkshires were considered very highly back about 1970.
  didnt they bring in some runs of the Rowa N&W Y6Bs also ?
  and several Kato 50' boxcars ?
   we'll try to forget the Yugo stuff they also brought in.
  but MRC has been mostly MISS in Locos and Rolling stock since then.
   maybe they will Up-Grade the MP N items ?
    Spikre
       :?

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »
Quick.... everybody run out and order Delta trailing trucks from MRC while you can! 

Seriously, I'm glad the line gets a reprieve, and hopefully it won't be short.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 01:36:10 AM »
Yes, MRC imported the Rowa Y6b, and I have one.  Once the tender contacts are working right, it runs as well as, or better than, any of the newer steam locos I've bought.  The only problem is that it's missing one of the valve gear cranks, and looks a little odd on that side.  Of course, it doesn't run much, as the 1974 BN doesn't use steam, and it won't fit my narrow gauge!

And several of Con-Cors freight cars were originally MRC, made by Kato.  Their 50 ft plug door box has an odd roof, but was a very good (for its day) model of an X58.  The body casting doesn't look bad even today, although ESM's X58 is much more accurate.   
N Kalanaga
Be well

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
I plan on upgrading my MRC X58 fleet with Exactrail diagonal pattern roof and ESM floors. It will be interesting just how close they come to the ESM cars.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 02:48:12 AM »
Here's a picture I posted some time back comparing the two:

The "MRC" car is actually one of the later Con-Cor versions, but the body is the same.  I have no idea where CC got that lettering placement. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:50:21 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »
Hope they don't get the Felicitites mixed up with the Smartalicktites in the electronics, not only will the scale and fidelity be suspect, but the DCC ability may be compromised.

Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
I just bought some MRC flower bushes.  Good deal compared to all the other brands of similar products.  Guy at the hobby shop said they'e going to be getting in a whole big display of MRC scenery materials.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »
Here's a picture I posted some time back comparing the two:

The "MRC" car is actually one of the later Con-Cor versions, but the body is the same.  I have no idea where CC got that lettering placement.

Given that this was a Kato-tooled model, and that all the other Kato-tooled models from the time period were much more faithful to the prototype, I'm beginning to wonder if this model was based on a prototype other than the X58.  I understand that the overall body height is suspect.  But what was the purpose of widening the door?  Given that there have been a number of private company schemes on this model, it seems as if it may have been based on a mid/late 1960s outside-post boxcar other than the X58.  And the body height can be explained by the decision to have the sides integrate with the existing roof/ends tooling, rather than tooling an entirely new model.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net