Author Topic: MRC acquires Model Power  (Read 3936 times)

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
MRC acquires Model Power
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
MRC has acquired Model Power, which would seem to include currently inventory of items and parts, and will continue production of that line of products.

this is good news, indeed!

Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4610
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: MRC acquires Model Power
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
That is an excellent news Gary- thank God another model RR manufacturer picked up their molds.

I wonder if MRC will raise the prices - one thing I liked about MP figures for example was their price compared to ones from Preiser (or other German manufacturers) or Woodland Scenics.   MP figures were not as detailed as Preiser, but they were still quite acceptable, and the price was very reasonable.

I wonder of they will keep some of the MP staff. I enjoyed chatting with Mike from service/parts dept. He would chew your ear off but was really nice to deal with and seemed knowledgeable about their manufacturing process.
. . . 42 . . .

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »
There's nothing on MRC's Facebook page nor is it on their website. nothing on Model Power's website, nothing on Model Railroader's nor Model Railroad Hobbyist websites... so what is the source of this news???  Inquiring minds (and a lot of others) want to know"

Never mind!!!  MR has it posted to their Facebook page...

MRC and Model Power enter licensing agreement

Gary, thanks so very much for sharing this news... I do hope it will prove to be a win-win-win for both companies and the many modelers that find the MP products so valuable!!!

Some may not be aware of the fact that MRC was one of the early companies offering models in N.  While it has been a long time since they have done so lets hope that this is just a start to some really great things for those who model to the Nth Degree!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:27:37 PM by jmlaboda »

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »
So looking forward to some totally updated jewel cases. Great news!  :trollface:

In seriousness, nice the line got picked up, but still trying to figure out if I've bought anything by MP since the 80's. All signs point to no thus far.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
Interesting if true.

There's a market for decent running steam.  If MRC would improve those mechanisms a little with a little bump-up in their suggested retails, they would probably do well.

The structures and people SKU's certainly have value.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
This is good news, indeed. I have a number of Model Power 40' stock cars (almost exactly like the Atlas cars) and bay window cabooses. The cabooses are kitbashing fodder.

Hmm... how about we get
some Great Ape fodder
around here... I am
starving...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
IIRC, Walthers bought out Life-Like to (primarily) get their hands on LL's HO product line (at which point they promptly spent all of their time and energy basically ignoring N scale). History gonna repeat itself?

Leave us not forget that MRC has already totally bailed on N scale once (circa 1972). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Cheers,
-Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »
Anyone remember MRC's reentry into the HO market with their "platinum" C420, or the F7? Those did not last long, and for good reason.

MRC has had an awful track history with model making. They release something with major flaws and it is quickly forgotten without any upgrades.

I would suspect this purchase was for two things: Mantua and track. That would give MRC a foothold in the train set market, which they have not had for decades.

The n scale line is too old (freight cars) and too DCC hostile (steam) to be of any use for them. I hope I am wrong, but I see releasing N scale tooling as a long shot, and upgrading that tooling as a near impossibility.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
According to the blip it looks like some of the Old Guard from MP will be retained. While overall, this is good for further MP products, I must question if the retained leadership will not make the same mistakes or find the same pitfalls that got it into financial trouble.

When you look at the gamut of items MP has produced recently the only "hits" were the steam releases. MP needs a big game change to stay competitive or maintain some foot hold in the market. They were on the right path coming out with the steam loco's, and retooling their freight car line, however they've been passed by Bachmann on both fronts. The structure kits are a little long in the tooth. The FL-9 they released was par at best.

Hopefully with the financial backing of MRC new products can be released that are on par with their contemporaries, if not better.

The S.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
The fact that MRC has acquired the Model Power product lines is a good thing.  Let's not preemptively crucify the manufacturer.  Any chance of continued product availability is better than zero chance — which is what the original prognosis was when Model Power announced it was closing its doors.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
N-scale needs some low cost, simple, rugged products to get kids other newcomers into the hobby...

Anything that keeps this line alive is good news.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
Some welcome good news

Everything MP has done hasn't been amazing, but it's good that their stuff will still be around.

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
the reality was confirmed by a reply email to me from the MRC customer support person
noting that they will be offering the current inventory (including parts for repairs, bashing, etc.)
and producing products both old and new
more news to come mid to end of July

thanks
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
More power to them.:-)
Peter Pfotenhauer