Author Topic: Walthers n-scale 0-8-0  (Read 1327 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
Walthers n-scale 0-8-0
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
My next DCC challenge is a Walthers 0-8-0.
As you might guess from the frequency of my postings I'm still new to this.

I put a TCS Z2 (with 8-pin plug) in my Walthers n-scale 0-8-0.  It runs on DC just fine (with the decoder) and the lights work too, but nothing happens on DCC.

DecoderPro was able to recognize the decoder and program an address, and when I use the "Identify" button it detects the loco with the correct (new) address.  However, when I try and run it, it doesn't respond to any commands (lights, forward, reverse, etc...).

Just for grins I tried address 03 (although the Identify response at 206 suggests that this would be a waste of time).  No Joy there either.

What should I try next?
George

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

nickelplate759

• Crew
Re: Walthers n-scale 0-8-0
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
Resolved!   I used Decoder Pro to read  all the "sheets", and looked through them looking for wierdness.
On the "Basic" sheet I discovered that I had somehow set the address to 206 (decimal) while leaving the decoder in 2-digit addressing mode.  Oops!   Changed to four digit addressing mode and all is well.

Still learning!

George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
Been there done that --- why do we paint bull's eyes on our feet?
Good to see you resolved the issue.

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »
In case anyone else wants to use this decoder,   I used a TCS Z2P-V0 decoder - that's their Z2 with an 8-pin plug on a very short harness.  The neat thing is that the Z2 is thin enough that it fits in the 0-8-0 tender - with the full tender weight.   Most conversions I've seen use a decoder that's a little thicker and you have to remove all or part of the removable upper weight that's attached with a screw.

However, on my decoder the pins on the 8-pin plug were so long that the tender shell wouldn't fit all the way on.  I took out some small diagonal cutters and carefully trimmed about 2mm off of each plug pin (they're easy to bend) and gently dressed the cut ends with a file.     After that everything fits!

George.
George
NKPH&TS #3628