Author Topic: single cab DC block wiring  (Read 1432 times)

h2w

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
single cab DC block wiring
« on: June 28, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
hello i'm in the process of wiring the layout, its straight DC. A the moment it is a single cab that i'm using with block control and I have come up with a situation. first its common rail wiring with the right rail with the gaps cut into it. i'm using an atlas selector to control thhe blocks everything is wired, last night I tested it out first buy running an engine over to block A and shutting the power off to that block, the main is block 2 which I accidently turned on and i'm glad I did because although  the power was shut off to block A,the engine started running down the track I shut off the power to block 2 and the engine stopped turned it on then the engine moved I turned off all the blocks then turned A on the engine moved then turned 2 on then A off and with 2 on the engine was running down the track.  I checked all the blocks the same thing block 2 controls all of the blocks  there is a run around track in block 2 does that track need to be gapped ?
 anyone know what the problem could be, should both rails be gapped if so how do you wire the track with both rails gapped I will attach a track diagram
 thanks
Mark

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
Re: single cab DC block wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:36:42 AM »
can you post a diagram of the track? You mention a runaround, is "block A" the diverging points (the runaround) or the mainline? How is block A connected relative to Block 2/mainline? If block 2 is the runaround then yes, it needs to be gapped on both sides, with its own feeder that should have its own SPDT (or dpdt if you are doing lighting etc). I use common rail wiring with many blocks for single cab control on my layout with great success so I am sure if you post a diagram of what you are describing (what track there is, how it is connected, where you cut gaps and how they are wired to your switches) someone here can help!
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
hello i'm in the process of wiring the layout, its straight DC. A the moment it is a single cab that i'm using with block control and I have come up with a situation. first its common rail wiring with the right rail with the gaps cut into it....

The common rail is the rail that should NOT have gaps cut into it.  (Or at least it should be all wired together under the layout.)

Sounds like you most likely don't have gaps everywhere you need them.  Having a track plan and knowing what type of turnouts you are using would probably help us help you.   Also your grammar makes your post hard to follow.    Try using some periods to separate sentences.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »
Since we're still waiting for a diagram, here's one of my own.  The box on the left is the throttle. It doesn't matter what color wire you use, this is simply the colors that I'm using related to the gapped rails on my layout.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:55:32 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

djconway

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »
there are a few things to watch for with common rail wiring.
1 - reverse loops - need both rails gapped and a DPDT switch to control the polarity
2 - WHY's same as reverse loops, altho the DPDT can be driven by a relay slaved to the switch motor
3 - all rail turnouts - a little tricky - always feed power from the point side.  I always gap both rails just past tjhe frog to prevent power looping back from another switch up the line.
4 - all rail crossings - a night mare I haven't fought with since the early 70's, suffice to say  DPDT and a good bit of tinkering will make them work.