Author Topic: DCC Bus Quick Disconnect  (Read 2695 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
DCC Bus Quick Disconnect
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:28:09 AM »
I am looking for a suitable connector to facilitate quick connection/disconnection of a DCC bus wire pair for a show layout.  We want to be able to connect a bus wire loom to a DCC system with no tools required ie. something like a Jones plug.  Can anyone recommend a suitable connector?  Pictures or links would be appreciated so I know what you are describing.

Thanks,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: DCC Bus Quick Disconnect
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »
The plug that Digitrax uses on the front of a DCS100 are fairly robust and come in all different sizes (connectors).
I cant recall what the name of the plug and socket is..
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:52:57 AM »
You can use PowerPole connectors (the current N-Trak standard).

. . . 42 . . .

Big Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:27 AM »
For whatever reason, the Anderson Power Poles are not easy to find in Canada, at least in Ontario. The only place I've been able to source them is Radioworld in Toronto. They sell Amateur radio equipment supplies. When I go to any other electronics supply stores and ask for PowerPoles they look at me as if I have two heads. Maybe they are more easily available in the US.

The thing is once you are aware of the versatility of PowerPoles they provide a lot of connectivity solutions and I need for other non-model railroading projects.

BCR 750, you may have to mail order these. Which is sad, because I see the use of PowerPoles expanding into other hobbies also like R/C cars and airplanes. I have suggested to Micro Mark they might want to carry them. We have a vendor that carries Micro Mark that is at most of the train shows here in Ontario and with the proliferation of modular formats like Free Mo, for example, he could make a bundle selling these.

If anyone knows of a reliable source in Southern Ontario, please let me know.

BTW, don't PowerPoles require a special tool to crimp these for complete reliability?

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »
available online here:

http://www.powerwerx.com

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
PowerPole connectors can be ordered online, directly form the N-Trak website. I think the will ship to Canada.

There is a special crimping tool for these (which we have in our N-Trak club), but many members opt to solder the wire instead.  You insert the wire into the tubular crimping area then flow the solder into the opening. This results in a very strong and reliable solder joint.
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »
The Powerpoles look pretty nice - will try and source some to try out.

Thank you,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
I love the power poles, and also solder.  Didn't think the investment for the crimper was worth it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:56:13 AM by Ike the BN Freak »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:59 AM »
I love the power poles, and also solder.  Didn't think the investment for the crimper was worth it.

The crimp tool we have was a club purchase. That way any club member has access to it when needed.
. . . 42 . . .

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:11 PM »
For whatever reason, the Anderson Power Poles are not easy to find in Canada, at least in Ontario. The only place I've been able to source them is Radioworld in Toronto. They sell Amateur radio equipment supplies. When I go to any other electronics supply stores and ask for PowerPoles they look at me as if I have two heads. Maybe they are more easily available in the US.

The thing is once you are aware of the versatility of PowerPoles they provide a lot of connectivity solutions and I need for other non-model railroading projects.

BCR 750, you may have to mail order these. Which is sad, because I see the use of PowerPoles expanding into other hobbies also like R/C cars and airplanes. I have suggested to Micro Mark they might want to carry them. We have a vendor that carries Micro Mark that is at most of the train shows here in Ontario and with the proliferation of modular formats like Free Mo, for example, he could make a bundle selling these.

If anyone knows of a reliable source in Southern Ontario, please let me know.

BTW, don't PowerPoles require a special tool to crimp these for complete reliability?

Any hobby shop that sells RC will have them. They are used for batteries in RC cars.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »
You might also find Powerpoles under the name "Sermos". If not as already stated, NTRAK will get them to you in just a couple of days.

Martin Myers

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
Tim did you try RP electronics in Burnaby, close to Central, from their web site:

Powerpole Sample Pack - 45A Pins, 20/Pkg

Powerpole Sample Pack - 45A Pins, 20/Pkg
SKU: 1327-KIT

This kit contains assorted colours of the 2200 series housings and a matching number of 45 crimp-on pins.

Pricing
CA$ 17.90   price
CA$ 17.01   5 - 9 (5% Off)
CA$ 16.11   10 + (10% Off)

http://www.rpelectronics.com/1327-kit-powerpole-sample-pack-45a-pins-20-pkg.html

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
I use Anderson Powerpoles on my portable DCC layout, and I am totally satisfied with them.  I use the current Ntrak DCC standards, improving on them by using only 12 AWG premium, fine-stranded, high purity, lo-ox, black and red zip speaker wire for my main power buses.

As for the 12ga bus, there are some who say (and who make quite a convincing argument) all things being equal except the gauge, that 14 AWG buses are better suited for much less signal loss than 12 AWG, having to do with harmonics and cancelling if I remember correctly. 

I'm running about 120 feet of bus on my portable layout, and don't have any problems with signal loss with the 12 AWG buses, so who knows?

I also only crimp my connectors (no solder) using the Harbor Freight Tools #36411 "Wire Crimping Tool" which goes for around seven bucks.  Works just fine.  Not what I would call an "investment".  It doesn't cut wire worth a crap, but it crimps Anderson Powerpoles just like they should be crimped.

Here's a photo of one of my portable layout sections while in the process of being converted to DCC wiring.  12 AWG main buses, 14 AWG sub-buses, 22 AWG solid core feeders soldered to each piece of rail:

After much research, I also chose genuine 3M IDC's instead of solder connections.  In the five years I've been up and running, both stationary in my layout room and transporting to shows, I have not had a single problem with any 3M IDC connection.  However, on my soldered 12V turnout control circuits, I have had several problems.  Others may disagree, but so far, this experiment shows that IDC's are more reliable and rugged than soldered wire joints.

Although this photo doesn't deal with main power bus connectors, it may be of interest to you.  It's a photo of my portable DCC board, which runs things at home and at shows.  I still have to install a metal handle on one end to carry it more conveniently, but so far, it's been very easy to transport and to connect up at shows as well as at home:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:28:11 AM by robert3985 »

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »
A big thank you to all those who responded - the link to the Powerpole instructions were particularly helpful.

Here are my wiring leads for our PGE-BCR Modellers display layout which will enable us to switch back and forth between DC and DCC power quickly and without having to use any tools:

The top leads connect the Lenz DCC command station to the power supply and to the layout wiring harness; the bottom leads connect the DC power pack to the wiring harness.  The spare Powerpoles at left will be attached to the wiring harness.  Now for a test run!

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca