Author Topic: Intermountain Cancellations  (Read 3405 times)

keeper

• Crew
  • Gitchi-Gumi Railroad
  • Respect: +20
    • My ferry website
Re: Intermountain Cancellations
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
I'm still hoping that they do the CNW passenger cars which are in the status 'TBD' for ages.  :?

Thomas
Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

My ferry website: http://www.shipping-info.net

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »
The owner of The Model RR Shop in NJ told me yesterday they received a model (in HO) that had been pre-ordered by a customer 23 years ago.

He was saying how some brass models have been received 5-10 years after ordering, usually with the customer declining it - or in one case having passed away.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:25:53 AM by ljudice »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1090
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
Keep in mind that InterMountain has multiple products in multiple scales in production at any given time — probably more than anyone including Atlas, given that more car/engine numbers are offered per item.  They also announce more schemes per release than anyone else.  I'd rather they cancel 10% of what's offered due to insufficient demand, as opposed to producing all of it and then be hamstrung regarding future products due to an over-investment in slow-moving or non-moving inventory.

Most of these canceled products are items/schemes that have been released previously, which means the demand for those specific re-runs is not strong enough at this time.  It doesn't mean they never will be offered again, as there have been situations where IMRC has re-announced products that had been canceled in past announcements.

While it's disappointing when a product is canceled that one has specific interest in, I would think that it is the rare exception rather than the rule for most if not all modelers.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Regarding the AAR 50' Boxcars specifically — these have been around since IMRC products were kits 20+ years ago, and have been released RTR numerous times.  They still can be found at retail with little effort, which is why the demand is not strong enough to re-issue the model at this time.  That doesn't mean they are gone forever, only that they are gone for now.  Most likely, they will be re-announced in a couple of years.

UPDATE:  I just checked the IMRC availability pages.  N&W still is in stock.  Erie, RI, MEC PRR, and L&N can be found with a little effort.  Undecorated kits also are in stock, if you are willing to paint/decorate your own.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:20:31 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
Regarding the AAR 50' Boxcars specifically — these have been around since IMRC products were kits 20+ years ago, and have been released RTR numerous times.  They still can be found at retail with little effort, which is why the demand is not strong enough to re-issue the model at this time.  That doesn't mean they are gone forever, only that they are gone for now.  Most likely, they will be re-announced in a couple of years.

UPDATE:  I just checked the IMRC availability pages.  N&W still is in stock.  Erie, RI, MEC PRR, and L&N can be found with a little effort.  Undecorated kits also are in stock, if you are willing to paint/decorate your own.
Yeah just picked up an LV on ebay and can get an undec for PC the erie's are abundant it looks like will get one of those too. 8) So thats why some were cancelled the old release is still out there, I just didnt check :facepalm:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +252
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
The owner of The Model RR Shop in NJ told me yesterday they received a model (in HO) that had been pre-ordered by a customer 23 years ago.

My own worst case so far (other than cancellations) was ordering and waiting 4 years, and not receiving the item.  The hobby shop closed its doors. Was many years ago, before I ever heard of Intermountain. If they passed along their order book to anyone else, I never heard about it.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
Most of these canceled products are items/schemes that have been released previously, which means the demand for those specific re-runs is not strong enough at this time.  It doesn't mean they never will be offered again, as there have been situations where IMRC has re-announced products that had been canceled in past announcements.

This is perception.  Given IMRC hasn't been releasing undecs, many of the available schemes may have been snapped up for stripping.  Yes, I know this is a low number, but I see some of the schemes of the 50' double door box that it  was going to re-release floating around at shows for eons.  Sales may have occurred (to which they base success on), but not because of customer need, but instead because of retail dumping.  Doing the first would put them in the very old Athearn blue box state of mind; that as long as it's on the shelf it will sell, one day.  There are numerous points stated in this forum over the years that show IMRC is out of touch in many ways, we needn't defend it.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
There are numerous points stated in this forum over the years that show IMRC is out of touch in many ways, we needn't defend it.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Yet miraculously, they are still in business.

I have found IMRC to be extremely accommodating and pleasant in my dealings with them. The fact that they offer parts for people to build custom projects speaks volumes to their commitment to modelers. Add in the fact that they mail you your parts order on the HONOR SYSTEM and merely ask you to contact them later for payment. Then look at the HUGE number of road names that they have produced over the years, in multiple road numbers. Finally, the first SIX offerings on the referenced link are for undecorated models.  Yeah, they are really out of touch.

Dave

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 03:11:34 PM »
The fact that they offer parts for people to build custom projects speaks volumes to their commitment to modelers.

I've said the same myself.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
This is perception.  Given IMRC hasn't been releasing undecs, many of the available schemes may have been snapped up for stripping.  Yes, I know this is a low number, but I see some of the schemes of the 50' double door box that it  was going to re-release floating around at shows for eons.  Sales may have occurred (to which they base success on), but not because of customer need, but instead because of retail dumping.  Doing the first would put them in the very old Athearn blue box state of mind; that as long as it's on the shelf it will sell, one day.  There are numerous points stated in this forum over the years that show IMRC is out of touch in many ways, we needn't defend it.

As I stated up-thread:  AAR 50' DSD Boxcar undecorated kits are in stock at InterMountain.

InterMountain isn't out of touch.  They announce bunches of products on a regular basis, including new tooling.  The overwhelming majority of them make it to market, including all of the new tooling for at least one release.  A small percentage is canceled due to insufficient demand.  If they were "out of touch," they wouldn't release as many items and schemes as they do.  Their business model is fine.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
I wonder how many modellers that lash out at a company for cancelling a particular paint scheme or model would be so fast to complain if it was their money funding said models...? It's a business for IM, Atlas, Rapido,  and the rest of the companies... they have to make money to pay their employees, pay the investors, pay the bills..... so if your favorite model is cancelled it's not personal; they don't hate your road; they are avoiding a loss or tying up tooling capital on a revenue neutral/losing project.....

Best way to make sure what you wants gets made... help the company get the word out so others with your interest will help support it.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »
Oh boy, good to see they're doing the Reading 3-bay Centerflows in 6 numbers. If memory serves me correctly, the RDG only rostered three of them...
Sean

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
As long as I get my gray Conrail Hoppers I'm happy!!! :)

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +898
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 01:58:45 AM »
Well, I don't pay close attention to freight car releases.  I just buy cars by looking around to see who makes what
when I want a car.  But after this post, I looked at the list, and I am disappointed the NP 1937 AAR 40' car was canceled.

A little web surfing says the numbers on these should be 15000-17999, and the previous run of them has a number that
is not in that range.  Is that true?  Maybe an NP sharpie can correct me here.  I looked the drawings up
on the NPRHA site, and 29508 was a 1944 AAR car with slightly different dimensions than the 1937.

The new car was numbered in the right range.

How does that happen?  I mean, heck, when I make a steam
loco model, I find a picture of one somewhere and I copy the number.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +59
    • My train pics
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
I don;t get what the big deal is. There are three items that are canceled here that I had pre-ordered, so I assume there wasn't enough interest to proceed. It happens...
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244