Author Topic: N Scale Layout configuration for given space  (Read 907 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3124
N Scale Layout configuration for given space
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
Due to an install of a new heat pump, my layout was dismantled and I'm back to square one.  One huge pro for doing this is the new unit will be moved to the center of basement and it opens up a 26' end wall of my basement, whereas before I only had 12 ' available.  I have attached a picture showing my available space and am in beginning phases of my new design.  I have 11' on the top, 22' on side, giving 4' clearance (equalling 26' total) for electric panel, and 8' of wall on the bottom if I choose to use it for a branch or staging connecting by a liftout or a 4-6" path for just the track.  Aside from using the obvious along the 11' and 22' walls, what would you do with this space ?  A point to point is a possibility but I want to be able to just sit back and let trains run too, so maybe a point to point with reverse loops on both ends.  Look forward to see what ideas you can come up with

I model 1980's thru modern with a focus on Chessie System thru today's CSX with others for pool power and run thru's.  It will be loosely based on CSX Hanover Subdivision, which interchanges with 3 different shortlines.  Commodities moved range from a heavy grain presence, paper products, corn syrup, rock/aggregate products and lumber.  No autoracks or coal trains. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:24:11 AM by mu26aeh »

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
Re: Layout configuration for given space
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
Is the area opposite the 26' wall usable from outside the space, like the other bay of a 2 car garage? Here's what I did with my space that is roughly the same as yours, albeit 4' shorter on the long wall,

Phil
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:17:47 PM by conrail98 »
- Phil