Author Topic: N Scale Convention 2014  (Read 8165 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: N Scale Convention 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
Thanks for the Pics Bryan.. the Well Flat is cool,  I'd grab one in Conrail to support the cause :)... How are the X72s coming along?..

Your Broadway photos are half :o and half  :RUEffinKiddingMe:
 :o in that they actually accomplished something.
 :RUEffinKiddingMe: at the paint schemes..

FVMs Roundhouse is impressive..  I'm in for all the Conrail related stuff..

Was Kato waving around more photos of models they 'haven't' produced.... yet....? :trollface:

Cool stuff! :) ~Ian

The X72 will follow the GSC well flat, probably 4-6 months after.  The X65 will follow after that.

The BLI hoppers in the N&W scheme were shipped back to the factory to be used as tooling-correction pieces since they were the ones equipped with the trucks (which also are new tooling).  The PRR scheme is prototypical and in the lower left corner of the photos.  It appears the model will be released this year.

The FVM roundhouse is very impressive in person.

No new announcements from Kato.  Models on display were all that have been released in the past 12 months, including the latest F2 units.

More photos tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:32:42 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 12:27:54 AM »
So far it's been a good convention - lots to see in Roanoke.  Always interesting to gauge the hobby at this event since it is totally focused on N scale and includes representatives of the top manufacturers and the top purchasing power in the hobby (collectors).  Of particular benefit to me is those who heavily speculated in the past 20 years and have now realized they're not going to get rich by hoarding Micro-Trains cars - some real bargains to be had at the Swaporama.  On the other hand were those guys who are still holding on to the dream and trying to sell at all time full price who I'm sure went home with everything they brought and will complain that the convention sucked.  Hopefully this years Manufacturers Breakfast will include some surprises (last year it was the Arnold U25C). 

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +910
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »
I'd probably grab a kato F-2 in NYC if they did the very first black scheme..   it'd go good with the microtrains ft.

-Ian

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +504
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 01:34:11 AM »
It could just be the pictures, but to me it looks like the FVM Heritage units are in another class compared to the Kato unit; the Kato ones look good but the FVM look spot on.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 09:14:12 AM »
Good job Bryan.
Mike

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
Thanks for the photos, Bryan....

We ended up not coming down, upon realization that there just wasn't enough time to drive down, so it is great to see what was there.

I see the NS boxcar conversion TOFC car there, any indication of when it will be available?

Thanks again,

Lou

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
If you can find a stock trailer that was used in intermodal service, I bet Peter might consider it.

Yea, that ain't gonna happen; no such thing as far as I know.  But if modelers are free to use license in deciding how to operate a model, shouldn't the manufacturer do the same - NSK can just pretend the stock trailers are intermodal...

Carter, from what I can see NSK has three versions of auto trailers, right?  The Milwaukee trailer and two open varieties - a single and a double axle version?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Bryan....

We ended up not coming down, upon realization that there just wasn't enough time to drive down, so it is great to see what was there.

I see the NS boxcar conversion TOFC car there, any indication of when it will be available?

Thanks again,

Lou

I think it's available now, but it's best to send Peter an email to verify.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
More pics from today.

Bergen National Laser — a new company specializing in laser-cut structures.  Binghampton Station:

Some additional structures.

Kan-Ray Models.

More ships from Mr. Nolan.

The latest from Precision N Scale.

Richmond Controls.

And the two next-announced SW1500 switchers from Micro-Trains, along with the next fantasy trainset.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1531
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »
oh flockin A there goes about 50 hours of painting . . . . :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Yea, that ain't gonna happen; no such thing as far as I know.  But if modelers are free to use license in deciding how to operate a model, shouldn't the manufacturer do the same - NSK can just pretend the stock trailers are intermodal...

Carter, from what I can see NSK has three versions of auto trailers, right?  The Milwaukee trailer and two open varieties - a single and a double axle version?

Bryan,

Yes, there are currently three styles of auto carriers available from N Scale Kits.  The first one was released around 2009, has tandem axles, and represents a trailer used on the SP in California.  The second was announced last year at the convention in Milwaukee, and the Flexi-Van was announced at this convention.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
Bryan,

Yes, there are currently three styles of auto carriers available from N Scale Kits.  The first one was released around 2009, has tandem axles, and represents a trailer used on the SP in California.  The second was announced last year at the convention in Milwaukee, and the Flexi-Van was announced at this convention.

Carter

Just dig out you white paint and start over.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
Manufacturers' breakfast must still be going on?????    :facepalm:

Just kidding, we all appreciate the reports!!!

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
The manufacturers breakfast was heavily attended by convention-goers, but very light on manufacturers compared to previous years.  The big announcement for me was that intermountain plans to do all future loco releases with sound as an option.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
I got home about an hour ago.  It wasn't light regarding the manufacturers, it was just that the reports were kept brief.  Most of the majors attended, and most of the second tier manufacturers also were present.  There definitely was significant news at the breakfast.  I don't remember all of it, since I had my own presentation to worry about, but here's most of it:

Atlas:  flex track molds finally have be certified as fit, flex should be back on the shelves within three months.  Turnouts should start appearing imminently, beginning with #5s.

InterMountain:  new covered hopper (I don't remember which) and 70' flatcars due to arrive in a couple of weeks and should be on the shelves by the end of July.  Moving forward, all motive power will be offered as DC, DCC, or DCC/sound.  Also has acquired an existing N scale mfr (identity not revealed) and will be (re)issuing five "new" models by EOY.

Micro-Trains:  Heavyweight diner by the end of this year.  Erie baggage car officially announced.  Developing metal wheels, but it was unclear if all future releases would be equipped with metal wheels or if the wheels would be an add-on product.

Fox Valley:  A new engine is coming, details later this year.  Southern gons imminent, tooling progressing on B&O caboose, H30 hopper close to sign-off.

N Scale Kits:  Queen Mary flatcar, F39 flatcar, ATSF mail container flatcar, QTTX flatcar available 7/1.  Other items in the making.

ESM:  GSC well car before EOY.  X72 will follow, and X65 will follow after that.  Collaboration with N Scale Kits is Portec low-deck tri-level auto rack with 28" wheels and pre-decorated etched stainless steel wrapper.

Charlie Vlk:  New smaller-scale couplers on Hornby/Arnold U25C that will mate with MTLs and MTL-compatables.  New mechanism for BLI Pennsy M1A will be split-frame with sprung drivers and already has been tested.  Tooling in progress for the BLI H32 hopper.  BLI H2A hopper release imminent.

Digitrax:  New drop-in decoder for MTL SW1500 is imminent.

Richmond Controls:  New tri-LED to-scale marker lamps for passenger car observations and cabooses with circuit board and track pick-up.

Deluxe:  New intermodal well car, but I don't remember which style.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net