Author Topic: 70's vehicles  (Read 3445 times)

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: 70's vehicles
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
I wish we could get more 90s to present vehicles....maybe I am not looking in the right places...

What are you looking for? Kits? RTR?
James R. Will

ski

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
RTR.  Painting and assembling small N scale vehicles is sort of an exercise in frustration for me.  I just looked at your willmodels link...I may have to place an order and see how I do.

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
RTR.  Painting and assembling small N scale vehicles is sort of an exercise in frustration for me.  I just looked at your willmodels link...I may have to place an order and see how I do.

There's some helpful instructions included with the models. If you have any questions please contact me either here (PM) or at the email address on the face card.

We are having a 20 percent off sale until the end of the month for forum members, so this would be a great time to consider a purchase.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
I wish we could get more 90s to present vehicles....maybe I am not looking in the right places...

Did you look on http://nscalevehicles.org   ?
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
Carter,
do you know if the 1600s are being imported to the US?

Doubtful as the Lemke's VW bus was not imported to the USA. But I know of at least 2 importers of Lemke/Hobbytrain.  http://www.tee-usa.com/  and https://www.reynaulds.com/

When I wanted hose VW buses Carter recommended http://www.en.dm-toys.de/  I've dealt with them few times already and I'm happy with the service.  They have lots of goodies (especially vehicles) which are not available stateside.

PS  A VW 1600TL was our first family car.  Dark blue with white interior. I remember looking for (and not finding) the engine!  Not up front and not in the trunk.  That gem of a pancake engine was well hidden.
. . . 42 . . .

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
Did you look on http://nscalevehicles.org   ?

Not much there as far as the era of vehicles he's looking for, at least not since the last time I checked.
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
Not much there as far as the era of vehicles he's looking for, at least not since the last time I checked.

Um, there are several listed in http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_1990-1999.php and http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_2000-2009.php . Better than none.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
Um, there are several listed in http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_1990-1999.php and http://nscalevehicles.org/resources/era_2000-2009.php . Better than none.  :D

Great resource for import models with the exception of the ubiquitous Atlas Fords. I was assuming he was looking for more domestic vehicles. Since they don't really consider my kits valid models, I kind of have to do my own promotion.  :trollface:
James R. Will

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
Great resource for import models with the exception of the ubiquitous Atlas Fords. I was assuming he was looking for more domestic vehicles. Since they don't really consider my kits valid models, I kind of have to do my own promotion.  :trollface:

My take on the question was that he was looking for vehicles from the 90s to present, which could be found on US roads (and used for detailing roads on a contemporary era layout).  If you look around you, I would venture a guess that you will see more foreign makes than American ones.
. . . 42 . . .

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
My take on the question was that he was looking for vehicles from the 90s to present, which could be found on US roads (and used for detailing roads on a contemporary era layout).  If you look around you, I would venture a guess that you will see more foreign makes than American ones.

That depends on where you're looking. Where I live outside of Los Angles in Ventura County it's a pretty good mix. In areas where the economy has really taken a beating, you see a lot more older cars and trucks, like when my parents lived in Kingman, AZ. Visiting was like going back in time. Can we at least agree that a lot of neighborhoods that are close to the tracks are not the upscale variety--which is what some of us are going to be modeling.

These days it's getting harder to tell what's domestic and what isn't as a number of foreign manufacturers have built assembly plants here. Does that make them domestic?

The other issue is that most of the Japanese car models are oversized 1/150 scale models. I know there has been a few debates as to wether the late model Kato Toyotas were 1/160 or not. With the exception of the older Crowns, they compare pretty close. I might have to get ahold of a set and check them out myself. I've been meaning to add them to my collection.

I wonder if he knows about those economical Chinese-made cars? I actually made a couple of them look somewhat acceptable (as background models).
James R. Will

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 01:23:27 AM »

James,

Your kits are indeed valid models.  It just takes a long time to build a web site, and I started with what I had on hand and could easily photograph.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
You can do a heck of a lot with those cheap Chinese models with a #11 surgical blade and a careful steady hand.I have some of the Z scale ones (funny that the Mercedes are just about flawless).Careful cleaning of the excess flash in the window openings makes a huge improvement in the appearance of the vehicles.Just be sure to use a sharp blade and be careful.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

jimmo

• Crew
    • Willmodels
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
You can do a heck of a lot with those cheap Chinese models with a #11 surgical blade and a careful steady hand.I have some of the Z scale ones (funny that the Mercedes are just about flawless).Careful cleaning of the excess flash in the window openings makes a huge improvement in the appearance of the vehicles.Just be sure to use a sharp blade and be careful.

That's exactly what I did. I was thinking about using the Z-scale for background models, how are those?

It's more than just a flash problem, the windows are just not open enough. Careful trimming around the insides of the windows will improve the look but they are still crude moldings. Some modelers will find them perfect for their needs but some of us will have to spend inordinate amounts of time attempting to make them acceptable.
James R. Will

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
That depends on where you're looking. Where I live outside of Los Angles in Ventura County it's a pretty good mix. In areas where the economy has really taken a beating, you see a lot more older cars and trucks, like when my parents lived in Kingman, AZ. Visiting was like going back in time. Can we at least agree that a lot of neighborhoods that are close to the tracks are not the upscale variety--which is what some of us are going to be modeling.

These days it's getting harder to tell what's domestic and what isn't as a number of foreign manufacturers have built assembly plants here. Does that make them domestic?

The other issue is that most of the Japanese car models are oversized 1/150 scale models. I know there has been a few debates as to wether the late model Kato Toyotas were 1/160 or not. With the exception of the older Crowns, they compare pretty close. I might have to get ahold of a set and check them out myself. I've been meaning to add them to my collection.

I wonder if he knows about those economical Chinese-made cars? I actually made a couple of them look somewhat acceptable (as background models).

You should see cars here. The winters are so bad that all cars seem to die after about 6-7 years. There is an odd 90's corolla or civic, but even those are few and far between.

Case in point: we can not get more than 100K on a cruiser before it dies. I have seen departments down south who still use the previous generation CV (1992-1997). We may get 2 1/2 years on ours. Transmissions, brakes, alternators and suspensions go on a bi-annual basis. Body damage from fender benders, crashes and the errant plow happen far too common.

On my 06 Mustang, I had to replace the rear bumper cover 5 times due to people rear-ending me and an invisible guy wire. That car drove through hail, 5 blizzards, two hurricanes and more nor'easters than I could count. I always seem to be the one called in for storm duty.

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21:51 AM »
You should see cars here. The winters are so bad that all cars seem to die after about 6-7 years. There is an odd 90's corolla or civic, but even those are few and far between.

Case in point: we can not get more than 100K on a cruiser before it dies. I have seen departments down south who still use the previous generation CV (1992-1997). We may get 2 1/2 years on ours. Transmissions, brakes, alternators and suspensions go on a bi-annual basis. Body damage from fender benders, crashes and the errant plow happen far too common.

On my 06 Mustang, I had to replace the rear bumper cover 5 times due to people rear-ending me and an invisible guy wire. That car drove through hail, 5 blizzards, two hurricanes and more nor'easters than I could count. I always seem to be the one called in for storm duty.

Daniel,

Wow, what a difference geography makes.  In southwest Idaho, it is not uncommon to see cars from the 1960s and 1970s still used as daily drivers!  "Vintage" pickups and trucks (1960s and newer) are even more common, and can regularly be seen  around here. 

The 1950s and older cars and pickups are usually restored, and come out mainly on weekends.   :)

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/