Author Topic: First-Ever Atlantic City N Scale Gathering: June 20-22, 2014  (Read 2514 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: First-Ever Atlantic City N Scale Gathering: June 20-22, 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
Suggestions for future shows... first, choose a time that does not conflict with other shows. This may be a challenge, but querying this and other MRR forums may help. Plan the event well enough in advance that you can coordinate a media release that includes modeling forums, a web presence, and advertising in magazines (most magazines will publish press releases at no cost). Also, canvass local club layouts and search for area layouts that may be willing to open for the event, assuming you can/are willing to coordinate self-guided tours.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
Chris: Looking forward to your report on the event.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
On behalf of the 4-H Model Railroad Club, I would like to thank all of you who managed to attend our first-ever N scale gathering this past weekend. The show was an overall success judging by the reactions of exhibitors and visitors alike. I would especially like to thank the following groups/people for making the show a success:

- Members of the 4-H Model Railroad Club
- New Jersey Southern N-Trak
- Brooklyn N-Trak
- Central Jersey N-Trak
- Yankee Dabbler
- TF Trains
- Nicholas "Chicolini" Caccavo
- John Kern of 4-H Model Railroad Club, who made this show a reality.

Aside from all of the complications faced during the preparations for this past week's show, I have been told by the higher-ups to expect another show next year! Greater care will be taken to ensure that the next show is a success, and is attendable by all who wish to attend.

For those interested, a video of the event provided by New Jersey Southern N-Trak's cinematographer will be posted below:
/>
If anybody who attended has any comments, concerns, or pictures, please post them here.
- Christian J. Davis

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
Pretty neat (if not, looooong) compliation.

One tip: if you open the video in YouTube and set the speed to 0.5, the trains roll at a much more comfortable and prototypical speed, almost to the scene every one looks better.   It becomes a bit choppy at that point, but the trains sure do look more closer to reality speed-wise.   (that's not a knock by the way...almost every train show "notches it up" a  little bit.  If nothing else for the hollywood aspect of things going faster)

But be warned, it does turn a 24 minute video into a 48 minute one!   :D
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
Pretty neat (if not, looooong) compliation.

One tip: if you open the video in YouTube and set the speed to 0.5, the trains roll at a much more comfortable and prototypical speed, almost to the scene every one looks better.   It becomes a bit choppy at that point, but the trains sure do look more closer to reality speed-wise.   (that's not a knock by the way...almost every train show "notches it up" a  little bit.  If nothing else for the hollywood aspect of things going faster)

But be warned, it does turn a 24 minute video into a 48 minute one!   :D

That point has been brought up a couple times, but the filming is really just to show the kinds of trains the clubs are running. Running all of the trains at prototypical speeds would be ideal, but it is not fair to those running them to dictate what speed they can run their trains at. Also of concern would be the time. The only reason that this one is so long is because of all of the people who came out to run trains, which was one of the main goals we hoped to achieve.
- Christian J. Davis

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
Nope, never said anything about dictating anything to anyone....just offered up one way to enjoy the video in a little different way.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
Nope, never said anything about dictating anything to anyone....just offered up one way to enjoy the video in a little different way.

I know. I never meant anything against you with that comment. Sorry for the confusion.
- Christian J. Davis

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
Crap! How did I miss this show? Oh well maybe next year. Never did see any advertisement for it (other than this thread) and I live in Cape May county.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
Crap! How did I miss this show? Oh well maybe next year. Never did see any advertisement for it (other than this thread) and I live in Cape May county.

As discussed earlier, our advertising methods were a bit unsatisfactory, and we hope to rectify this by next year's show. I apologize for not getting the word out sooner. It would be great if you and other members of this forum could make it out to support our show. We had a lot of fun this year, and hope to make next year even more enjoyable.
- Christian J. Davis