Author Topic: Top secret hobby shop near Kato USA, whaaat....  (Read 3871 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +545
Re: Top secret hobby shop near Kato USA, whaaat....
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
In the military, we call it   1000 mph tape ..

and everything you ever wanted to know

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2007
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Hmm, lots of very useful (serious and not so serious) info about these tapes here - maybe we should have started a separate thread on this...  :D
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
"Woo-Woo-Kachoo !"
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
 :|             Yes, I was another one of the N Scalers at the WGHS in Salt Lake who was told by the KATO Rep that there would be an 844. I like Robert 3985 / Bob did not necessarily believe it since there has been no action till now It does make logical sense as Kato had just released their City Of Los Angeles, so they now had lots of Excursion / Business cars to choose from, also the Daylight 4-8-4 mech could  (can) be adapted for an FEF 3/2 locomotive. I too hope they will do coal, modern oil, and original oil versions (retrofits) for the tender. I' am not holding out much hope for pilot retrofits and other specific details except smoke lifters. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »
After a little research last night re-reading my Kratville book "The Mighty 800's", I've changed my mind about some of the things I'd like Kato to include on this FEF model.

FEF-2's and FEF-3's were virtually identical and in the late 40's and early 50's, most of the FEF-2's got their single stacks replaced by either double or triple stacks, so for transition era UP modelers, the boiler/smokebox on both the 2's and 3's was virtually the same, except for some individual smokebox door differences depending on the engine.

Adoption of a Worthington SA feedwater heater in most 2's and 3's also in the 40's and 50's required rebuilding the smokeboxes, which extended them 18" as well as standardizing the doors into the later style.  Not all 2's got the SA feedwater heater, but all 3's had it,

All FEF's were eventually run on oil, and in the 50's (my era) 2's and 3's were all oil fired, so I now don't care about ash pans or coal loads...just an original oil bunker without all the safety appliances the 844 now has.

Also, by my era, all 2's and 3's had smoke lifters, so now I don't care if they're removable on the model since they'd be correct for my layout.

As for the pilot.  Like Nato (Nate), I'm not holding my breath that they'll offer the bolt-on, drop-coupler pilot of the FEF-2's, and it'd be fairly easy to remove the FEF-3 swing coupler'd cast pilot and construct the proper FEF-2 pilot either from scratch or RP it.

I've still got a big ol' smile on my face and hope that Kato will do an outstanding job on this model...  :)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: "Woo-Woo-Kachoo !"
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Yes, I was another one of the N Scalers at the WGHS in Salt Lake who was told by the KATO Rep that there would be an 844. I like Robert 3985 / Bob did not necessarily believe it since there has been no action till now It does make logical sense as Kato had just released their City Of Los Angeles, so they now had lots of Excursion / Business cars to choose from, also the Daylight 4-8-4 mech could  (can) be adapted for an FEF 3/2 locomotive. I too hope they will do coal, modern oil, and original oil versions (retrofits) for the tender. I' am not holding out much hope for pilot retrofits and other specific details except smoke lifters. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

Kato has been telling anyone that would listen about the FEF for some time now.   I think they squarely wanted Athearn to get the hint.   (Yet, we're all off our rockers for believing the evil twitterverse...lol   :RUEffinKiddingMe: )

I'm more excited about the prospect of Kato doing a modern-ish business/excursion train alongside the FEF.   I will of course buy some type of loco to pull it but I'm not sure which it will be....844 or a Centennial.   :scared:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

robert3985

• Crew
Re: "Woo-Woo-Kachoo !"
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
Kato has been telling anyone that would listen about the FEF for some time now.   I think they squarely wanted Athearn to get the hint.   (Yet, we're all off our rockers for believing the evil twitterverse...lol   :RUEffinKiddingMe: )

I'm more excited about the prospect of Kato doing a modern-ish business/excursion train alongside the FEF.   I will of course buy some type of loco to pull it but I'm not sure which it will be....844 or a Centennial.   :scared:

....Or an Athearn Challenger (3985)...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »
Yeah, but I can't find any time that the Challenger rolled through my locale. (North Fort Worth to Bowie, TX via the UP Duncan sub or BNSF Wichita Falls sub)   I actually saw it back in...maybe 2003-2004 timeframe (?) but it was in Corsicana southeast of Dallas coming from Marshall and onto Hearne and Houston, I think.   But the 844 came through the north Fort Worth area a few times as did the Centennial-led business trains.   Recently, the 844 even traveled up the BNSF line I model, (versus the somewhat parallel UP line) although way past my chosen modeling era.  The 844 is technically past my era, but not by too much.  I need to do some  more research though...it's possible the Challenger did make it up this way at some point.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
After a little research last night re-reading my Kratville book "The Mighty 800's", I've changed my mind about some of the things I'd like Kato to include on this FEF model.

FEF-2's and FEF-3's were virtually identical and in the late 40's and early 50's, most of the FEF-2's got their single stacks replaced by either double or triple stacks, so for transition era UP modelers, the boiler/smokebox on both the 2's and 3's was virtually the same, except for some individual smokebox door differences depending on the engine.

Adoption of a Worthington SA feedwater heater in most 2's and 3's also in the 40's and 50's required rebuilding the smokeboxes, which extended them 18" as well as standardizing the doors into the later style.  Not all 2's got the SA feedwater heater, but all 3's had it,

All FEF's were eventually run on oil, and in the 50's (my era) 2's and 3's were all oil fired, so I now don't care about ash pans or coal loads...just an original oil bunker without all the safety appliances the 844 now has.

Also, by my era, all 2's and 3's had smoke lifters, so now I don't care if they're removable on the model since they'd be correct for my layout.

As for the pilot.  Like Nato (Nate), I'm not holding my breath that they'll offer the bolt-on, drop-coupler pilot of the FEF-2's, and it'd be fairly easy to remove the FEF-3 swing coupler'd cast pilot and construct the proper FEF-2 pilot either from scratch or RP it.

I've still got a big ol' smile on my face and hope that Kato will do an outstanding job on this model...  :)

Bob,
very much appreciate that you've done the research!...lol...
I was just about to post a question as to the differences in the FEF 3's between the way the 844 looks today and the way it did in 1957.
It's appearing as if there won't be too much that needs to be done to 'backdate' it!
Thanks,
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
NTRAK Board of Directors
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

[/ur

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 05:23:26 AM »
Bob,
very much appreciate that you've done the research!...lol...
I was just about to post a question as to the differences in the FEF 3's between the way the 844 looks today and the way it did in 1957.
It's appearing as if there won't be too much that needs to be done to 'backdate' it!
Thanks,
~Bruce

Bruce,
Depending on how accurate Kato makes the "modern" 844, there won't be many differences.  The most obvious differences are (1) the modern 844 has two steam generators up on top as opposed to one on the '50's 844, (2) there are a lot more "appliances" on the top of the tender's oil bunker with the modern 844, (3) on the modern 844 there are also added "appliances" on the rear of the tender to facilitate mating up with the water bottle as well as MU connections, and (4) there's a firecracker antenna on the back of the cab roof on the modern 844.

Additionally, the '50's 844's cab sagged a bit towards the rear.  The latest shopping by UP has finally fixed that problem, and new, pristine boiler cladding has been applied and some of the the latches, boltheads and edges have been nickel plated.  The engine as I've seen it over the past few years is better than new and is a real showpiece, shiny, straight and clean as a fresh spoon.

When I see her running up or down Echo and Weber Canyons or sitting idle at Ogden Union Station, I just have to shake my head and say "WOW!!"  She's an absolutely magnificent example of the best and last of fast passenger steam.

Here she is steaming into Ogden at Uinta in 2009 doing at least 60mph:

Here she is on track 1 at Ogden Union Station in 2012 after having her boiler cladding replaced.  You can see the nickel plated parts above the firebox:

Here's a view of the rear of the tender with the new (and old) connections and the clear hose water level "gauge":
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 06:05:16 AM by robert3985 »