Author Topic: New Container Loader Announced  (Read 4783 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: New Container Loader Announced
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »
Deluxe is starting to make even Micro-Trains announcements look in-touch with reality.

:?  Not sure what this is in reference to.  My interest in this announcement is tempered by two things: 1) I don't have an intermodal facility, and 2) the release date is 3rd quarter 2015.  But I'm thrilled to see any signs of life from DI.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
I just don't understand why it's nearly as much as a powered locomotive when it's just a static vehicle. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 12:29:41 AM »
I just don't understand why it's nearly as much as a powered locomotive when it's just a static vehicle.

I suspect that is it all in the details (the detail parts). Steerable wheels, probably rubber tires, photoetched items, precision-molded movable boom, etc., etc. Then it is probably more difficult to paint it than it is for a simple locomotive body.  Then you are paying for someone to assemble all these parts (no kits available).
. . . 42 . . .

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:53:25 AM »
:?  Not sure what this is in reference to.  My interest in this announcement is tempered by two things: 1) I don't have an intermodal facility, and 2) the release date is 3rd quarter 2015.  But I'm thrilled to see any signs of life from DI.

Gary, just a bad joke about all the drama that is made over the MTL announcements every month. (myself included in the interest of full disclosure....hehe)   Admittedly it hasn't been as bad lately but the gist is that Micro-Trains announces a bunch of cars that nobody wants.  (yet, they seem to do ok....)   I have to say some months I feel that way...

With Deluxe, it is just a headscratcher...you see signs of life, I see yet another announcement of product that we won't see for six years.  (ignoring the "perfect timing now that there are a half dozen similar products on the market" angle.)  I have been a huge supporter of Dave, but at some point it goes back to the old addage: when you've dug yourself into a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.   Anyway, I don't want to get too negative here....still backing Dave and Deluxe and hopeful for the best.  I understand his issues and realize that some of the items he has announced may never see the light of day due to captive tooling.  I just think I would feel a little better (as a customer, with current orders in the hundreds of dollars) knowing he was focusing on the task at hand versus finding new ways to fill a pipeline that is 5 years long.  (yes, that's probably oversimplifying and probably unfair)  I get it that is other projects are at a standstill, and assume the path to completion is shorter here and that's why we're hearing about it.

I'm still on the fence about having an intermodal facility on my next layout.  It will largely depend on available space, which right now is an unknown.   So yeah six years sounds about right....I guess I am Dave's target audience.   :P
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »
We certainly need some more coal porters

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
I've said it before and will say it again, given the complexity of a model like this and the painting/assembly issue, why isn't someone doing something like a Jordan Spreader (in several versions) instead of an intermodal vehicle, tied to a particular era?

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I've said it before and will say it again, given the complexity of a model like this and the painting/assembly issue, why isn't someone doing something like a Jordan Spreader (in several versions) instead of an intermodal vehicle, tied to a particular era?

I think the Jordan Spreader is probably in a similar market space...not huge demand but both have appeal to a decent number of modelers.  Likely the fact that Jordan Spreaders have been offered in brass means they move down the list a little bit.  I also think that the allure of intermodal trumps MOW equipment, for whatever reason.  But I agree we'll probably see one in "new tech" before long.

NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
I think a spreader - if done properly, with a few variations - could be a big hit - given they are one machine that covers at least 50-60 years...

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Another Intermodal loader (3rd one) that is nice, but not much help without 53' containers... (at least for the modern era)  same with the flood of flats and spine cars. All pretty, but also pretty empty.

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
I would like to see a log loader version of these. I know there is one for the Piggy-Packer and has been discussed here before but don't know if there is one using the Reachstacker.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
I'd like to see the Piggy Packer adapted to the Logging Industry, known as the Raygo/Wagner Lumberjack.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
For those of you that like/need a slightly older prototype...

Keith Weismann has released the N Scale of Nevada piggy packer kit.

I have two.  Sitting on my shelf.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

cjjd6901

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
Ohio Central A B A set of F7s, too bad Jerry never used them in freight service. Oh wait yes he did :D

Wouldn't the world be a more beautiful place with OC Maroon SD40-2s?

8)  Chris

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 12:47:18 AM »
If you "Google" Terex Super Stacker you should find a link to a pdf brochure that can be downloaded.  On page 18 of the brochure you will find a piggy back spreader option.

So, this machine could be adapted to handle trailers with a little scratch building.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
Wouldn't the world be a more beautiful place with OC Maroon SD40-2s?

8)  Chris

it is  ;)