Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/1/14  (Read 12060 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Weekend Update 6/1/14
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 06:33:05 AM »
Feel free.  Let me know what the reaction is. 
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
It's the getting there, not the being there. So, this means you just have new opportunities to blow peoples minds (when you decide to model Conrail in the late 70s).

No way!  He is sticking to modeling Reading and CNJ and that is all there is to it!

Welcome back Rich!  So I guess you will be needing more tangerine and blue CNJ F3 decals...

Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

ryourstone

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
So I guess you will be needing more tangerine and blue CNJ F3 decals...

Not just F3s, have you seen this?   :D

http://shpws.me/tDE1

I may need to make some additions to that artwork...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
Rick:  That would be a tough one to find.  But, after seeing some of the mistakes at our oil/fuel filter plant, I can see how it would happen. 

We have one filter that has a solid plastic bottom cap, the paper filter element, and a plastic top cap with a raised nipple.  It's a diesel fuel filter, and goes into a welded plastic housing.  The fuel enters around the outside, goes through the paper, and exits through a hole in the nipple.  Very simple.  The assembly people have to manually insert the end caps, and the have two boxes, one on each side of the operator, feeding two conveyors, one on each side.  Top caps on one side, bottom on the other, very simple.  All filters are manually inspected at the end of the oven, where the glue is baked to set it.  Then they're sent into the "clean room", where I put the housings together.

The nipple snaps into the top of the housing, with two hose ports, and a bowl covers the bottom.  I grabbed a filter a few months ago, and it wouldn't go into the top.  They're supposed to be put in the box top up, but every now and then one is upside down.  So I flipped it over (without looking at it) and tried again.  No luck.  Looking at it I saw that it had two bottom caps...  Obviously not only the operator but the inspector weren't paying attention that day...

Missing an uninsulated wheel would be a LOT easier, and if they feed automatically, nobody would ever see it.

Whatever the advantages of metal wheels, that's one problem that won't happen with plastic!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 07:13:48 AM »
Nick you are correct!

However, a simple continutiy check of the axle assembly as it rolls down into a bin would be enough to reject that assembly with a puff of air out of the production stream so the customer would never see it. Layout shorts are a bad thing and a brand new product should never create one.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
Not just F3s, have you seen this?   :D

http://shpws.me/tDE1

I may need to make some additions to that artwork...

I knew he was working on it.  He was having trouble getting the nose correct.  Looks pretty good to me.
I have been wanting those for a long time.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1325
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
John:  That assumes that the wheelset rolls into a bin.  It's equally likely that it just drops, as rolling it down a track would require a mechanism to place it ON the track.  That would be added complexity, which means added cost, and, based on my (limited) manufacturing experience, even more chances for something to go wrong.  In many cases automation is faster, and cheaper, but no more reliable, than humans.  "Keep it simple" seems to escape many design engineers in any field.

But it would be nice if there was a simple way of catching such problems.  It would be handy in many fields more critical than model making.

N Kalanaga
Be well

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
Not a true locomotive, but I thought the scheme looked pretty good on the high hood.

Maybe not a "true" locomotive, but you have accomplished something that many modelers of "true" locomotives have not--look real.
James R. Will