Author Topic: Low hanging truck frames on Intermountain FT's  (Read 5108 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Low hanging truck frames on Intermountain FT's
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »
Dang, too bad.  There is just *nothing* inside there to put a screw into.  The thin lid and countersinking didn't worry
me as much.  But yes, with that frame all open like that, I don't think there's anywhere to put a screw in.

As I recall, when I did this, it was one of the Kato engines with the metal truck frame and plastic snap-over
cover, so I could drill into metal and there was plenty of it inside there to hold a screw.

Carolina Northern

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
Tried some Geep trucks last night - not even close.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
Thanks for the effort Carolina, I figured as much :P
And I agree Max, gluing the metal trips seems like an clumsy solution with no "float".
Oh well, I think our best bet is to request replacement sideframes (or trucks) from IM when they release a new run. Hopefully that won't be too long.
Meanwhile, I have enough parts to keep two sets running, and I do love them...see below 8)
Otto K.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
Bump!
I thought I’d revive this old thread, as I discovered additional IM sideframes fail over the last several months.
In the last installment (five years ago!) I had received some replacement trucks form Intermountain, but they were the last ones in stock. The hope then was that IM would rerun the FT in the “near future” and replacement trucks would become available. To my knowledge, they haven’t been rerun, have they? (The IM website is not very useful in this regard; I should “contact my dealer).
Is there any new info on this topic? Anyone else dealing with this issue?
Thanks,
Otto K.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
Well, I never dug my set out to look for possible fixes (too many projects on my workbench).

If these fail after some time, there must be some part of the truck that weakens or spreads out.  If we were to figure out which part of the truck is doing that, many putting it in hot water and trying to bend it back to its original shape would help?  And no, I did not reread all 3 pages of posts in this thread to fully refresh my memory.
. . . 42 . . .