Author Topic: Trial Harbor Belt??  (Read 4023 times)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Trial Harbor Belt??
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
The shelf layouts are cool...

But I'd take the round-n-round if space were available for it.  Just to be able to mindlessly let a train run if nothing else.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
Railfan trip to the area that inspired Ian Rice.

Chesapeake Grain is looking a bit rusty.

This is the NS main line bridge over Bainbridge Ave. That's US 13 (Military Highway) up top. This overpass loves to flood.

Shot a long panoramic sequence of a local Vulcan establishment for potential backdrop use. Then realized my 15MP camera was set on lowest resolution.   :facepalm:

Nothing a little decaling and weathering couldn't dupicate.

Bad shot of the backside of the US GYpsum Norfolk plant. When the signs all along the barbed wire fence say NO STOPPING and there is a cop at the corner, getting a decent shot because of shutter lag was impossible. These giant pipes are very visible on overhead imagery and from the interstate.

Best find of the day here. Evidently Eat at Joe's has become Eat at Grandpa Joe's. but note that there has been a change in ownership, so I am assuming Joe has gone to snack shack heaven.
Peter Pfotenhauer

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »

Been over 30 years since I last traveled these roads... nice to be reminded of what was there.

I am a little surprised, looking at the "street view" of the location that there is a double track on the girder bridge as well as an off ramp from S. Military Hwy., which you can't really make out.  I love the idea of this arrangement... hope that if anyone tries it that they can really pull off the character of the scene.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 02:58:28 AM »

In this version think about putting a Y switch right after the "Scrap" siding switch and have the diverging route squirm around to the "Metal" siding.  Seems like a lot of "dead track" used to get to these 2 sidings -- and as somebody said in  another thread, what's an industrial yard w/o crossings?
For a radical approach put your runaround track in the middle of the "yard", with a switch off the end that goes through a crossing in the middle of the throat. That crossing track then splits into "Scrap" and "Metal". You then have a lead/runaround combo, and open up the area next to the river for more yard tracks or another water-served industry.
Throat would be switch-switch-crossing-switch-switch, etc. If the crossing angle matches the turnout angles  it would form a symmetric arrangement that allows a runaround crossover right below the crossing. And the Y-switch for the two sidings would still work.
I'd do this in AnyRail but never have any luck attaching files.

What size turnouts?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:37:45 AM by OldEastRR »

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
Interesting idea Old East. I did tweak that throat area. Just haven't posted the revisions. I am leaning towards the continuous run option to keep it simple.
Peter Pfotenhauer

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:06:49 PM »
Are you using Atlas #4 or #6 turnouts?

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
Peter Pfotenhauer

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
Several new incarnations of the plan coming.

First up, a variation on the L shaped design. Here the scrap spur and metal spur feed off the same lead, as they are one industry recycling metal to ship overseas.

This version has the run around track off the main.

And the last new idea is the redesigned 2x4 + looper with a flipped yard up front.

Peter Pfotenhauer

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
Very cool, Pete...if you didn't want the grain silos,  you could model a cool Alcoa operation out near Sparrows Point that gets aluminum ore by barge and transfers it to covered hoppers...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS