Author Topic: Lubricant on Body Shell...  (Read 1298 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Lubricant on Body Shell...
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
I picked up a pair of Atlas SD50's from a run a couple years old - new stock from a reputable dealer...

Both had signs of lubricant seeping up from the walkways to the lower part of the body...

I rinsed and lightly scrubbed with a mild household cleaner and it seems to have removed it.

Any better suggestions?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: Lubricant on Body Shell...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
It's a common problem with these engines. Several mid-production runs had a ton of grease and lube added, probably to alleviate the binding in corners. Some of the excessive lube was so bad it actually damaged the paint, resulting in Atlas to recall their Oakway Leasing engine.

I use dish detergent to wash seeks from excessive oil. I like to use old make up brushes that my wife discarded because the bristles are very fine and won't mar the surface.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Cory Rothlisberger

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
Some of the excessive lube was so bad it actually damaged the paint, resulting in Atlas to recall their Oakway Leasing engine.

False statement right there. There was just some bad paint on the Oakway units. Had nothing to do with the lubricant. All of the other roads were fine.

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:05:19 AM »
Thanks, yep it's dried out now and looks fine....

Hey Cory, can you order up some 6150-6199 series C40-8W's while you're at it??? :)

cjjd6901

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
They are just intensely reproducing the prototype.  I would expect Atlas OEM A&O SD50s to be packaged in almost charcoal colored paint and begin dripping oil once they meet the rails.

:D  Chris

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »
They are just intensely reproducing the prototype.  I would expect Atlas OEM A&O SD50s to be packaged in almost charcoal colored paint and begin dripping oil once they meet the rails.

:D  Chris

It brings up an interesting question - preweathered locos... wonder if this is something Atlas has looked at. 

cjjd6901

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
Don't know about Atlas but Bachmann had done some nice looking, light weathered European Class 66s.

8)  Chris

DrifterNL

• Crew
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:13:26 PM by DrifterNL »

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
In most oils and lubricants surfactants are added to help the oil disperse in to the moving parts. When some paints and finishes are exposed to the oil the finish will lift off looking like it has been treated with a paint stripper. Sometimes there is no indication of the damage, the oil will penetrate the paint and when you clean it with, maybe dish wash or similar type products the surfactants that are in the cleaning agent follows the oil path and causes the paint to lift. If this is the situation, the paint will not usually lift immediately the damage is often evident after the item has dried.