Author Topic: New Position open at MTL  (Read 4488 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
New Position open at MTL
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »
Check out our Facebook Page or our Home Page for info. 

Joe.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: New Position open at MTL
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
Wow, you guys are harsh.  That NS switcher isn't THAT bad...    :trollface:

Production Graphic Artist (Talent, OR)
http://medford.craigslist.org/med/4500972786.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:26:11 AM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »
Swift and severe.  Learned that here on Railwire.   :D

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »
Joe,
I hope you keep that sense of humor.

I like hearing news from you.

victor

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »

Joe,

With all of the recent college grads hitting the streets, looking for work, you shouldn't have too much trouble meeting your criteria.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +346
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
Can I work in exchange for y'all producing specific models?   :ashat: :ashat: :ashat:
Thanks much,
Mairi Dulaney, RHCE
Member, Free Software Foundation and Norfolk Southern Historical Society

http://jdulaney.com

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »
"Reliable attendance and punctuality is mandatory."

Now that's just totally unreasonable. Just as well, I 'spose. The commute (SE Wisconsin) woulda killed me anyway.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »
Would love to see MTL hire one of the local grumpy :ashat: know-it-alls just to shut 'em up. Talk about your reality checks  :D

Cheers,
-Mark

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:22:40 PM »
"Reliable attendance and punctuality is mandatory."

That is an interesting job requirement. I never seen something like that in a job description. But I work in high-tech field. Maybe the artistic types can have problems with tardiness and attendance.  :|
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
That is an interesting job requirement. I never seen something like that in a job description. But I work in high-tech field. Maybe the artistic types can have problems with tardiness and attendance.  :|

I have a hunch it was added to the requirements out of bad experience(s). I spent many years as a graphics department manager. As self-identified "graphic artists" morphed from trained graphics professionals with obscure manual skills to ex-secretaries who thought they knew PageMaker, the quality of dedication for the job tanked, right along with the pride in the end result.

I didn't find creative professionals who worked for me to be "flaky" as you infer - in fact, I had very little problem with staff attendance, etc. - but I did observe that the more the graphic artist felt their job was "beneath" their skill level as a fine artist (...or whatever...), the more difficulty I had with motivation. Maybe in some settings that translates to a disinterest in the job itself. It's been a number of years since I hired/fired, so possibly in the time since then the quality of workers at skilled-trade levels has dropped. I dunno. :|

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
I always tell the younger folks that work for me that the world is run by the people who show up.  I never fire people for mistakes, but I do fire those who aren't there.

After reading some of the recent threads, I would think that the necessities for the job would include a thick skin, and a micrometer accurate to 1/4 of an N scale inch. 

For myself, I will be satisfied as long as MT makes exactly what I want, when I want it, for whatever I want to pay for it.  Well, ok, I will settle for the PRR diner and Erie baggage car sometime in the next year and the forlorn hope of a single window coach in my lifetime.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
If I can telecommute, and you wanna hire someone with absolutely no formal training, and minimal experience, I'm game!!! :trollface:
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »
All kidding aside, opening the position to telecommuters would widen the net greatly.  Attendance and punctuality is less important than getting the work done correctly and hitting deadlines.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »
All kidding aside, opening the position to telecommuters would widen the net greatly.  Attendance and punctuality is less important than getting the work done correctly and hitting deadlines.

Yes... but... and you certainly oughta know... the research materials needed to accurately determine PL&N are typically not found online. There is SO much of concern to us that only exists in hard copy, and sometimes rare hard copy. MTL no doubt has a huge physical library of research volumes, and accessing that by remote control would need half again another graphic-aware employee to do the browsing, scanning, etc. locally so the telecommuter has the necessary references in-hand.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:32 PM »
Regarding MTL ... the graphic designers do not make the decisions on what is chosen to be produced, they are handed the reference material.  So, it wouldn't take much more effort to transmit electronic versions of that material to a telecommuting graphic artist.  Scan and email, not tough.

You have email, and phones, and WebEx, and GoToMeeting, and Skype.  It's not necessary in this day and age for everyone to be in the same building eight hours a day, five days a week.

Typically, with the larger manufacturers, the people drawing the artwork are not the same people gathering the reference materials.  Back in the day, decades ago, I did artwork for Atlas and for Delaware Valley.  Most of the time reference materials and finished product were mailed and emailed back and forth.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:06:59 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net