Author Topic: Plywood crates ?  (Read 1685 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
Plywood crates ?
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
Balsa never looks right .

Anybody know a source for .020 ish plywood looking wood ?

Ran across this , anybody use it ? http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/desertdrover/2013412174738_CatPartsLoad11.jpg

Richie Dost

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Plywood crates ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »

160pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:54:50 AM »
Paul Ohegyi
Current Member
https://nrmrc.org/

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:16 AM »

http://www.kapplerusa.com/

Thanks , but his sight had only an eMail request for un-scribed sheets . I found some 1/32 birch sheets on eBay and ordered those . Can't complain about the price either http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDWEST-PRODUCTS-CO-Basswood-Sheets-1-32x2x24-15-/271478941576?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Richie Dost

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
If your quest is to build true-to-scale plywood shipping crates you might want to consider that 1/32" in N-scale is around 3" thick. If you can live with that kind of bulkiness, consider the oversize wood grain of real plywood. Plywood used in shipping crates is usually less than 1" thick (depending on the item being shipped) which scales out closer to the thickness of 20 lb bond paper.

The most realistic crates I have ever seen in N-scale were made from photographs taken of real 4x8 sheets that captured the pattern and coloration of real wood. Micro plywood will not have those characteristics--no matter how thin it's made.
James R. Will

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »
If your quest is to build true-to-scale plywood shipping crates you might want to consider that 1/32" in N-scale is around 3" thick. If you can live with that kind of bulkiness, consider the oversize wood grain of real plywood. Plywood used in shipping crates is usually less than 1" thick (depending on the item being shipped) which scales out closer to the thickness of 20 lb bond paper.

The most realistic crates I have ever seen in N-scale were made from photographs taken of real 4x8 sheets that captured the pattern and coloration of real wood. Micro plywood will not have those characteristics--no matter how thin it's made.

True that , but most crates are bordered with 1 by's on all or most edges depending on crate size and strength needed which I will add to the basic box O basswood . .020 = 1/50 and .03 = 1/32 . The price the 1/32 sheets offered was 15.00 for 15 sheets 2" wide and 24" long  ( should last till the worms eat my eyes ) . I was seeing 7 bucks for 1 sheet of thinner stuff . For that price I could chamfer or rabbet the edges if I wanted a thinner visual edge .

Richie Dost

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
If you want creative, find someone who smokes cigars...the good ones are sometimes wrapped in very thin wood sleeves that might give you some material to work with.  Sometimes they're *too* thin and have holes, but you easily could find enough real estate to make probably dozens of n-scale crates.  I have some somewhere....if I come across it I'll snap a pic.  I'm sure the great Googliemooglie would have pics too.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
It doesn't matter how you go about it, those crates will not look like scale plywood. Just because something is made out of "real plywood" is no guarantee that the final result will be convincing. There's nothing in nature that can simulate what real 1/160 plywood would look like.

I'm sure your mind is made up but after writing my last response I thought about how I would go about creating a plywood crate. I went on an online image search and found many pics of plywood, most were not the entire 4x8 sheet. After looking at about a hundred or so images I found a single image that had 10 4x8 sheets on it. I went to the page where it came from and it was a company that does 3D modeling. I did a screen capture of the low res image and brought it into Photoshop for a closer look. After resizing the image from 72dpi down to 300dpi the image ended up close to N-scale. I printed it out on a high-quality paper at 98 percent reduction and it was spot-on. I carefully colored all the white edges with a brown marker. Now I have a highly detailed set of 10 4x8 sheets of plywood for a future project.

For crates, I would make the basic boxes out of styrene and either make decals of the plywood sheets or glue the printed out plywood directly on the styrene boxes. Adding 1x bracing would finish them nicely.
James R. Will