Author Topic: BLMA PS 4000 Covered Hopper - Bad Coupler  (Read 5646 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: BLMA PS 4000 Covered Hopper - Bad Coupler
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
Good!  If you want to test whether the flash was (part of) the problem, you could put the original coupler in a 1015 box.  If it works there, it was probably the flash.  If not, it's probably the coupler.  Either way you don't have to take the car apart again, and you do have spare box now.  If it works, you can reuse it on another car.

I tried the knock-off coupler in a Micro-Trains #1015 box, and it works fine. So that means it was that tiny speck of flash in the knock-off coupler lid. Glad I noticed it and trimmed it off.

Hmm... now if Kiz could
only trim some fat off
his belly...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +528
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Are you sure these are knock-offs? BLMA says "Furthermore, these models feature body-mounted, brown Micro-Trains couplers for superb operation!"

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=AwAABg0PBwQFBxQUEBEcHAYFBgAFAgUFCQkTEQAA&storeid=1&searchtext=4000&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&t=main.htm&itemid=PS4000-23

Mark

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »
Are you sure these are knock-offs? BLMA says "Furthermore, these models feature body-mounted, brown Micro-Trains couplers for superb operation!"

I just looked at the "knock-off" alongside an original Micro-Trains coupler with an 8 power loupe. There are noticeable differences, so I think the "knock-offs" are really just that. EDIT. Or else Micro-Trains is making two styles of 1015 couplers???

I looked at the box the hopper came in, and it makes no mention of the type couplers it has.

I found the boxes my BLMA gondolas came in (bought them a year or so ago), and there was no mention of the type of couplers on those boxes either.

It's a mystery why BLMA says they use Micro-Trains couplers, unless the factory in China is illicitly making substitutions. EDIT AGAIN. I'm confused over this whole deal. I'm certainly not accusing BLMA of false advertising.

Hmm... no, a mystery is,
where did my pound of
termites crawl off to...?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:15:43 PM by Kisatchie »
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »
Whether or not they are knock-offs  ....  (I don't think they are, but I imagine Craig will set the record straight the next time he peruses the forum).

The reason your coupler wasn't aligned was because the tiny little plastic pin on one of the shanks was broken.

It could happen just as easily to a knock-off or a genuine MT coupler.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
The reason your coupler wasn't aligned was because the tiny little plastic pin on one of the shanks was broken.

No it wasn't. Once I trimmed the tiny bit of flash off the coupler lid, an original Micro-Trains coupler worked properly in the car's coupler box. The removed coupler was put in a #1015 coupler box and tested. It worked properly too.

Hmm... when Kiz goes to
sleep, I'm gonna convert
all the BLMA hoppers to Z
scale couplers...

"It works! It works!"

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Quoted right from the BLMA website, "Model Description:
This is our FOURTH release of these popular models.  Along with the fine-scale attention to detail you've come to know from BLMA Models, these models ride on our 100-Ton ASF Ride Control trucks and 36" metal wheels!  Furthermore, these models feature body-mounted, brown Micro-Trains couplers for superb operation!"

It even says it in two places on the page.I think it was "Operator Error"  :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Quoted right from the BLMA website, "Model Description:
This is our FOURTH release of these popular models.  Along with the fine-scale attention to detail you've come to know from BLMA Models, these models ride on our 100-Ton ASF Ride Control trucks and 36" metal wheels!  Furthermore, these models feature body-mounted, brown Micro-Trains couplers for superb operation!"

It even says it in two places on the page.I think it was "Operator Error"  :D

I went back and compared the brown coupler from the BLMA hopper with an authentic Micro-Trains 1015 brown coupler, side by side, with an 8 power loupe. There are definite differences! The BLMA coupler isn't as sharply molded, for one thing.

I suspect China isn't using real Micro-Trains couplers. Maybe Craig should investigate this.

Hmm... death to China...!

"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4522
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »
If that is the case, this would be similar to Intermountain's AC-12 models.  They clearly state in the features of the loco that the model features MT couplers, but the actual couplers are not the real thing.  I had a thread on this in the Lounge.
. . . 42 . . .

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +572
    • My train pics
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
I have a good number of cars with factory body mounted MTL or clone couplers (BLMA, ESMC, Trainworx) that exhibit a tenancy to not self-align, difficult to couple, or random uncoupling. I assumed it was a fault with the body mount pocket since I never has issue with MTL couplers that are truck mounted. If it's the coupler itself, easier to remedy, though costly.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
Craig will set the record straight the next time he peruses the forum

The real Craig, or the Chinese replica version of Craig! :? :D

I seem to remember that there should be a gold sticker on the jewel case if they are the official MT couplers.  The copy on Craig's website might be old/outdated.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
The real Craig, or the Chinese replica version of Craig! :? :D

I seem to remember that there should be a gold sticker on the jewel case if they are the official MT couplers.  The copy on Craig's website might be old/outdated.

I think Craig has talked about this.  You get a discount for putting the sticker on, but BLMA chooses not to do it.

edit:

Quote from: Craig Martyn
Note that Micro-Trains offers a small discount IF you add their supplied, gold foil labels.  We have never given space to the sticker on our packaging, but we've always used MT's product*.

From here.

*Let's keep in mind this was a year ago so use of MTL products could have changed.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:39:58 PM by wcfn100 »

Craig Martyn

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
I've been watching this thread for a while.

Fact is, things have been changing overseas regarding the couplers.  There is a new coupler, but from a function standpoint, there should be no difference.  The issue noted in this thread was solved as flash - it can happen to any coupler.  There is no inherent issue with the new coupler, despite minor differences.  Just so we are clear on that...

The switch had to happen at some point, and did so during our PS-4000 production.  We have updated the site to reflect the change and apologize about any confusion. 

Now, back to work!
Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4522
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
That is a sad state of affairs.

While I have no experience with BLMA version of the knuckle coupler, but I have seen and used the IM version of what was supposedly the MT coupler.  While the clone is close in appearance and operation to the MT coupler, it is still an ersatz knuckle coupler.  There are some visual and operational differences: Things like flash and rough surface finish (and draft angles) make those not quite as good as MT.

BTW, when was the last time you have seen any flash on a MT coupler molding? :|  It seems that everybody wants to cheapen the products they manufacture.  But I for one would not mind paying  couple of bucks more to get the real thing (not some Splenda substitute).  Unless the Chinese factory are holding you up for a ransom - you no use our clone coupler - you take your production elsewhere!  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
That is a sad state of affairs.

While I have no experience with BLMA version of the knuckle coupler, but I have seen and used the IM version of what was supposedly the MT coupler.  While the clone is close in appearance and operation to the MT coupler, it is still an ersatz knuckle coupler.  There are some visual and operational differences: Things like flash and rough surface finish (and draft angles) make those not quite as good as MT.

BTW, when was the last time you have seen any flash on a MT coupler molding? :| ...

Let me clarify something here. The flash was NOT on the knock-off coupler, but on the coupler pocket lid, which was rough-looking on the inside.

One other point - the knock-off coupler had something small but obvious stuck to the top of the trip pin where it passes through the coupler shank. An X-Acto knife scraped it off after a few passes. Don't know what it was.

Hmm... reminds me of
when Crisco shortening
advertised it was pure
vegetable shortening - no
lard. Six months later,
lard was listed on the
ingredients...

"It works! It works!"

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +408
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
Personally I've had as many problems - if not more - with genuine MT couplers as with knock-offs.