Author Topic: Local Hobby Shop burns down  (Read 1886 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Local Hobby Shop burns down
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
Sad news! Did they carry N scale (or just larger scales)? :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
Local hobby shop in Antioch, IL burned down a few years back.  They rebuilt, and came back stocking more N scale.  Surely a sign of the apocalypse.
~ Matt

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
Sad news indeed.  Hope the owner is able to come back better than ever.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
That is sad news.  It's not the LHS's stock of merchandise that gets me, it's all the collectibles that were in there as well as the historical aspect of the station which will never be replaced...even if covered properly by insurance.

Interestingly, in UP's history, when the railroad needed new structures, oftimes the old ones would mysteriously burn down such as the Ogden Union Station, which got rebuilt into what is presently standing there, and the wooden coaling facility at Echo, which mysteriously burned down just in time for a new Fairbanks & Morse concrete tower to be built for the Big Boys to use.

I'm sure this isn't anything like that, and my sympathies go out to the city, as well as to the owner of the LHS and his customers.

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »
I've been going there for 18 years. The shop had character.....like an old small town hardware store vis-a-vis a Home Depot. The building was adjacent to the double track CSX main line. There was a picture window on the back wall for watching a train go by.  He carried quite a bit of N, as hobby shops go. He also had a lot of O gauge items that simply can't be replaced.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:56:23 PM by LIRR »

rschaffter

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »
That's a shame.  The shop I often went to over in West Boylston, Mass, Henry's,  burned 7 or 8 years ago, and the owner took the opportunity to retire... :(
Cheers,
Rod Schaffter

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
... Interestingly, in UP's history, when the railroad needed new structures, oftimes the old ones would mysteriously burn down such as the Ogden Union Station, which got rebuilt into what is presently standing there, and the wooden coaling facility at Echo, which mysteriously burned down just in time for a new Fairbanks & Morse concrete tower to be built for the Big Boys to use. ...

SP had the same system in the '60s and '70s. Once a closed station received any sort of "attention" for preservation, restoration or community re-use, it would inexplicably catch fire. Being very old, dried-out wood like that hobby shop, the structures would be fully involved by the time the FD rolled onto the scene.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Speaking of the SP, something similar happened to the old brick roundhouse in Santa Clara. People started to work towards trying to save it and it suddenly fell down...darn earthquakes
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Memster1

• Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:57 AM »
According to all the news stories, the owner is not planning on rebuilding.  This is a real loss, as his in-store stock was quite large, and if he did not have it, he would order it and the items would be there in a week or less.  He had fair pricing and years of experience. 

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
Maybe he'll start an on-line store. With insurance money he could make a real nice start-up.