Author Topic: SP AC-9 side frame for pilot truck  (Read 1648 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
SP AC-9 side frame for pilot truck
« on: May 19, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
I am in the process of a Jason AC-9 project but have a problem. I do not want to try to contact Jason and intrude in his personal life at this time, so maybe Max or anybody can give me a hint. I was due to get a casting for the pilot truck side frame but have not so I must "make do". I have a side frame from the trailing truck of off a B'man light mountain. It is not correct but I thought I could cut the thing down and make do for pilot. However, the thing is metal and I am having heck trying to cut it down in size. I may have to run it without side frame but that will look strange.

Does anybody have a possible solution ? I appreciate any help possible.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: SP AC-9 side frame for pilot truck
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Carl, would an outside bearing pilot truck from the old MRC (or other) Berksire work?
Otto K.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »
Can you please post a photo of the sideframe you are trying to make, and the part you are trying to cut down.
If cutting it down would work, and your only problem is the physical task of getting it cut, I might be able to help you there.

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »

Otto - I have no idea what the Berkshire part looks like. I am not going to match the AC-9 pilot but rather will have to get the closest possible that would be better than running naked wheel in view.

Max,

Here are some pictures. #1 is a photo that I found somewhere that shows the pilot truck. #2 is a scan of a photo from the SPH&TS Trainline magazine #23 that has an article about the AC-9 construction. I hope I'm not in trouble for posting it. The last two are the light mountain trailing truck side frame that I started grinding down to remove what I guess is an arch bar spring. It will not be perfect but most likely will have "to do."

I suppose, if all else fails, I will run it without any sideframe.

Thanks for looking.

Carl

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »
Now that I see it, I agree with Otto.  The pilot truck from the MRC/Rowa Berkshire would be an excellent match.
And it is plastic, so it would be easy to customize to make it fit.
Let me dig around in my parts boxes to see if I have one. 

If I find it, you can have it for $973, plus tax and shipping (or, if you prefer, I will just toss it in an envelope and mail it to you!)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »
Yea, the reason I thought so they are both LIMA products of the same era. The Berk might be a bit lighter. I will rummage in my parts box tonight to see if I have one also.
Otto K.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
Carl,
Here ya go.  I think this will do you nicely.

If you want it, send me a PM with your address.  It's yours.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:41:05 PM by mmagliaro »

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
Max,

You are a champ. I sent you a PM a while ago and it stated that it was sent but doesn't show in my "sent" list. Please let me know if it does not come in.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »
Max,

You are a champ. I sent you a PM a while ago and it stated that it was sent but doesn't show in my "sent" list. Please let me know if it does not come in.

Carl
Not to worry.  I got it.  The truck is in the mail.   

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
Max,

Thank you very much, I really am happy to get that as it sure is spot on. You are a true hobbyist and with your tutorials a true teacher. Thanks for all.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
Argh!   
Carl, I just thought of something.

That wheel has flanges that are too big for code 55 track.  I could have turned it down for you, but it's off in the mail.
Is that going to kill the whole thing for you?

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »

Max,

I do not think so as I'll probably replace the axle with the one off of the EM-1 or maybe a small FVM. Just need to see how the axle is mounted to the truck. Might have to cut out the center of the truck and replace it with the EM-1 truck. Will have to see.

Thank you again!

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
Carl,

In exchange or providing the "master" Jason gave me the first AC-9 he built.  I had given him some of the pilot trucks like the once Max just sent you.  What Jason did was extended the length of the EM-1 pilot frame just slightly, then cut the rivarossi pilot truck frame to fit over the EM-1 pilot frame and attached with CA.  I works great and allows you to keep the stock pilot connection to the frame and stock axle that matches the rest.

Phillip

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »

Thanks Phillip for the info. I knew that Jason had told me that he had CA'd, with black CA, but I did not understand what was  glued to what. Your info has cleared up my confusion. Now all I need is a headlight because the cast one was crap and can not be used. I may just add a visor to the EM-1 light.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:48 PM »

Thanks Max, the pilot came in today. As far as pizza cutters goes, no problem. I popped the axle out and replaced it with a FVM #3610 wide tread unit. Looks great and rolls very well. Thanks max, you saved the day. Pictures soon.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas