Author Topic: MTL Parlor Car  (Read 1163 times)

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
MTL Parlor Car
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
Is it just me or are the 28 chairs in the center section MTL Parlor cars a little high? Try as I may I can't get past seeing highchairs when I look through the windows--especially after painting them a lighter color. In my research, they appear to be on swivels and are possibly recliners. They also do not all point toward the center of the car at a 45 degree angle.

I removed all of the highchairs on the interior insert and am replacing them with my own lower-mounted versions. These will be placed more in a random fashion using the holes left by the original chairs. If this works out well I might consider offering the replacement chairs in sets if there's any interest.
James R. Will

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: MTL Parlor Car
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »
Is it just me or are the 28 chairs in the center section MTL Parlor cars a little high?... They also do not all point toward the center of the car at a 45 degree angle.

What a coincidence. I was looking at some back issues of Model Railroader, and there was a photo of a passenger car with the seats pointing in all sorts of directions. Looks like they swivel so passengers can look at each other when they talk.

Hmm... I look at my food
when I eat...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
James,

I never checked to see if the seats were high.  But I can say that they represent swivel chairs, which is why they are depicted at a 45-degree angle.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Frisco Larry

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
HW parlor cars had individual chairs that were movable.  LW parlor cars had swivel chairs (in all of the photos I have seen).  All were much taller than regular coach seats.  That said, I think the MTL chairs are slightly too tall.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
HW parlor cars had individual chairs that were movable.  LW parlor cars had swivel chairs (in all of the photos I have seen).  All were much taller than regular coach seats.  That said, I think the MTL chairs are slightly too tall.

It is a fact that the backs of the more luxurious parlor car chairs were indeed taller than the regular seats. However when you look in through the windows, the chairs appear to be elevated by more than a scale foot, possibly 18 inches higher than they should be. The chairs on the insert are scaled as if they were sitting on the actual car floor as they would have been on the real thing instead of a thick interior insert. All we should be seeing are the backs of the chairs at a level view.

Maybe it's supposed to be a shoeshine car. :D
James R. Will