Author Topic: Somebody Goofed in France...  (Read 1248 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Somebody Goofed in France...
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »
Since I'm half French, I'm not saying anything:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/21/new-french-trains-too-big-for-stations-will-cost-68m-to-fix/

Hmm... can I say
"frogs" here...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
Re: Somebody Goofed in France...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:40:56 AM »
Yeah, the never gave the required dimensions to the builder  :facepalm:

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Hey, the French have the equipment to take care of that.

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Good one Bob !!!
Thanks ,
Louis

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
Wow, problem solved  :)

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
Same thing happened in Toronto with the new TTC Subway trains. First test it got stuck in the tunnel. They sent the wrong specs to the Manufacturer. It was funny to see the train in the yard with scraps all up the sides.

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
We have had similar problems in the fire department. We have chiefs and committees that spec trucks too tall for the stations they'll be assigned to. Then they destroy, ahem bastardize, the bays to make the trucks work.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
Many years ago the navy was redoing some work on an aircraft carrier (don't remember which one) and they cut into a bulkhead (wall to you landlubbers) and found a fairly large room they didn't know existed.  Not a major screwup just still funny to me.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
Many years ago the navy was redoing some work on an aircraft carrier (don't remember which one) and they cut into a bulkhead (wall to you landlubbers) and found a fairly large room they didn't know existed.  Not a major screwup just still funny to me.

Kitty Hawk
At least that was the legend according to the crew, it was said that it had been built and equipped as an AIMD IM3  space (Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Dept- box/component level avionics repair) and had benches installed, ready for test equipment and the builders got a change order to cover the door, as it was going to be in a different passageway, but never got the order to add the door somewhere else.  The original drawing showed the whole area as a void so no one thought anything of it.

I still shake my head at what we do because "That's what the drawing says..."   Wiring to nowhere (supposedly "future expansion"), ashtrays in aircraft that you haven't been authorized to smoke in for 30 years
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

SSW7771

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
It is just baffling that a company will not do its due diligence to confirm that the new trains will fit in the existing stations. Especially since it is a huge investment to purchase the new trains.  :facepalm:

But I have seen similar type instances in the construction industry here in the US.  :D
Marshall

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
Sometimes there's just so many people and companies involved and everyone assumes that it's surely the other's job to figure out such an obvious thing.  Sometimes everyone does their job but the system its self just produces blind-spots where anomalies like that can exist.

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
The Montreal metro system was built originally around 1967 . About 6 years ago they did another extension , at one place there is a very tight curve where one rails ( and concrete runway ) are quite a few inches higher on one side of the track ( superelevation ) . A good thing somebody one day decide to check if the tunnel was wider at the top to be able to clear the top of the car leaning to the inside of the curve ... They had to grind the concrete a couple of inches deep ...   
It seems the experience people who designed in the past were better and did not use computer , maybe they had more time to actually think .     
Thanks ,
Louis

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »
I had to do that in one of my tunnels...