Author Topic: Ugh, senior moment - what d'ya call...  (Read 2627 times)

BOK

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: Ugh, senior moment - what d'ya call...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
Hi Rich:

Yep that's true different lingo but the same meaning.

I teach the rules in one of the regions for a large short line group and I try to tell the new guys to give car lengths like:
"Start em back, good for 25, riding the point conductor's side, shoving track 25 (or whatever track), then 15, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1,
half, 10' that'll do. Streach em ahead, that'll do. Red Zone."

Now that kind of communication/car signs is probably pretty familiar to you and it has certainly been to me for several years
but at one of our heavy switching yards the boys substituted "half, 10' that'll do" for "half, stop". The first time I heard this I
thought they were on the ground. However, our rules state that as long as all crew members agree, they can use any car signs
they wish as long as everyone agrees to it and complies with them.

BTW, or company is in the process of again allowing crews to get on and off moving equipment at 4 MPH or less which will provide
much smoother and effecient operations rather than abrupt, jerky stopping motion before getting on or off.

Stay safe and thanks for the info..

Barry       

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
Hi Rich:

Yep that's true different lingo but the same meaning.

I teach the rules in one of the regions for a large short line group and I try to tell the new guys to give car lengths like:
"Start em back, good for 25, riding the point conductor's side, shoving track 25 (or whatever track), then 15, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1,
half, 10' that'll do. Streach em ahead, that'll do. Red Zone."

Now that kind of communication/car signs is probably pretty familiar to you and it has certainly been to me for several years
but at one of our heavy switching yards the boys substituted "half, 10' that'll do" for "half, stop". The first time I heard this I
thought they were on the ground. However, our rules state that as long as all crew members agree, they can use any car signs
they wish as long as everyone agrees to it and complies with them.

BTW, or company is in the process of again allowing crews to get on and off moving equipment at 4 MPH or less which will provide
much smoother and effecient operations rather than abrupt, jerky stopping motion before getting on or off.

Stay safe and thanks for the info..

Barry     

Barry, I know we are getting a little off topic and I don't want to steal Marks thread. We do pretty much the same except when we reach 5 we must count down every car, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. half car, 10 feet and if you're riding you have to stop before the knuckle. Also if you get 10 and haven't heard anything in 5 you have to stop. We still cannot get on or off moving equipment unless it's an emergency. Same to you stay safe and remember three points of contact getting on and off all equipment and watch your step.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
Steal away, my original question was answered long ago  :D

Cheers,
-Mark