Author Topic: New to me building , but it's HO's scale  (Read 2491 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
New to me building , but it's HO's scale
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
Nothin' says the wrong side of the tracks than a place to have a HO down . Why not N !

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91LnnguYynL._SL1500_.jpg ( BUSCH N Scale )

Richie Dost

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: New to me building , but it's HO's scale
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »
Wrong side of the tracks? Shops like that are everywhere in europe, specially nice retail areas.  Never seen one quite that uhhh.. "ornate" though.

Is that a picture of the N scale version or an N is coming soon?

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:25 PM »
That's what is out now in HO as a kit . I guess the design of a girder frame structure with signs as walls would be easy enough to do in N , and be Americanized . A HO scale female bather can be modified for the babe on the roof .

Richie Dost

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
Around here they tend to not try to stand out like that.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
I guess depending on your era, if you really wanted to have one it looks an easy scratch build with a flat roof to make it a little more Americanized.  I've worked at truck terminals in the "wrong side of the tracks" area (why are most terminals in these wonderlands) and have never seen one of these shops.  Maybe a really run down shabby "exotic" dancer club and bars here and there.  The parking lot usually populated by it's share of police cars with flashing lights and a chalk outline on the ground.  These "retail outlets" seem to be located by a interstate exit or by high traffic area, like near shopping malls, etc.  along with the billboard advertising ADULT and the other billboard next to it from a religious group.  Score one for the advertising companies for putting 2 billboards around these.  A wise business decision for sure.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
That structure looks nothing like any US adult shop I have ever seen. It looks more like a subway entrance.

Sex shops in US are usually in a old storefront with the windows painted over. I pass one of those often in Somerville MA.  Friend of mine is also an owner of a small chain of that type of shops. His (at least the locations I've seen) are in strip malls.

As far as N scale figures go, we have several "Sexy Scenes" (sex acts) from Noch, and nude bathers (not to be confused with mastur-batheres).  :D
. . . 42 . . .

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
I will say the sex shop whose parking lot I had to use to turn round in in Augusta GA to get pointed back the right way (gotta love Georgia street signs and traffic laws  :facepalm: ) was nothing like this, but more just a run of the mill flat-roofed box with some interesting paint. Here's the Bing link (I had to make trips to the International Dealer [down and to the left] next door for parts for trash trucks).
http://binged.it/1qJ3bfe
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
IMHO a European sex palace is going to look as out of place on our domestic layouts as bull fighting arenas. Try explaining that one to the grandkids.

The reason most of these kind of establishments are located in seedy areas and not fancy malls or modern stand-alone structures are because residents have a say as to what businesses are allowed in their towns.

The only manufacturer (I'm aware of) that currently makes an N-scale kit for such a business is Downtown Deco http://www.downtowndeco.com/site/?p=1160. The same kit is also issued as a rescue mission, just with different signage.
James R. Will

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
This thread is going to generate some interesting ads!!!

Frank

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »
This thread is going to generate some interesting ads!!!

Yeah, I'm seeing a G.E. Capital Retail Bank ad as I type. Woo hoo, .95% interest.

Hmm... the Dee Rayle
Bank & Trust pays 2.65%
on a $10,000 investment.
Call for a prospectus...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
I've certainly never seen this style of shop outside of europe.  Like you guys say, they're usually an unassuming little run-down storefront in a run-down area almost trying to hide.  While in europe they announce their presence loud and proud like any other shop would, and generally have the windows plastered over with ads for their products and services just like in that model.  And they can be found anywhere, from a higher-end shopping area rubbing shoulders with banks and high fashion to of course "the wrong side of the tracks". 

I've never seen a free-standing one like this though.  Always just a storefront.

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
"....they're usually an unassuming little run-down storefront in a run-down area almost trying to hide."

Oh you guys should check out the Lion's Den, in Oshkosh, WI. (Not that I've ever been in there.) It's on the west frontage road, of highway 41, at the highway 26 exit. It's a new, stand-alone, purpose built building. (Dare I say it...) Erected only about 4 or 5 years ago. Nice, clean, with good lighting. And an ample paved parking lot (though I seldom see many cars there).

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.949489,-88.586357,3a,75y,113.09h,86.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sf6Y_uXSDbzdaMYLjkkYWhw!2e0?hl=en

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
The ones I go to... errr drive by are never that fancy.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
Been all around the world and seen lots of these places (yes I've gone into a few).  They run from dumps to well established and decent looking buildings.  Have any of you ever been to the Reeferbahn in Hamburg, Germany?  That whole section of town is nothing but these establishments and houses of ill repute.  They even advertise their wares in the windows.