Author Topic: Inkjet Decal Issue  (Read 614 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +62
Inkjet Decal Issue
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
I tried making some decals using my inkjet printer and decal paper made for this purpose.  I printed them and let the prints sit for two days to dry thoroughly.  I then coated them with Microscale Decal Film and noticed that the colors ran slightly. Anyone else had this happen?  If so, how do you stop it?

Doug

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
Re: Inkjet Decal Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Not all inkjet printers (or better inks) are great for decals. I never had any good results with HP. Epson inks are waterproofed and I had better luck with them before I switched to laser.

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Inkjet Decal Issue
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »
On my HP inkjet decal sheets I use a Testors product called "Decal Bonder #9200" sold in 3oz spray cans. Let the decal dry for a couple of hours (depending on the humidity of where you are) and a couple of light coats are all that's usually needed. Allow sufficient drying time, overnight if possible, again taking humidity into consideration.

One of the reasons your ink ran with the MS Decal Film is because the image laid down by the inkjet printer is very delicate--even after allowing it to dry. Spraying light coats of Bonder seals the ink and makes it more durable for handling. You might want to experiment a little to see how much you need to spray on.
James R. Will