Author Topic: Spookshow - Where is the Micro-Trains PS-2 Covered Hopper?  (Read 2711 times)

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Spookshow - Where is the Micro-Trains PS-2 Covered Hopper?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
I just tossed one of these in to the ol 91% bath. Stripped it naked as per the usual but the roof walk is made out of... Paper? I knew it wasn't metal, thought maybe it was plastic, but it got soggy in the bathtub and now that the paint is gone it seems to be laser cut paper. Is that really what it is?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4611
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »
I just tossed one of these in to the ol 91% bath. Stripped it naked as per the usual but the roof walk is made out of... Paper? I knew it wasn't metal, thought maybe it was plastic, but it got soggy in the bathtub and now that the paint is gone it seems to be laser cut paper. Is that really what it is?

Interesting..... MT has been making some of their detail parts from some sort of laser-cut paper product, but I didn't know that it was also used on their roof walks.  Good to know.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:23 AM »
I figured it was laserboard, a thick paper soaked in resin. But maybe not...

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
That must be what it is, I think you're right on. It is very paper like but not quite card stock. Must be card stock soaked in glue of some kind. Or at least it used to be. This one has some blotchy areas that seem like the resin or rosin or whatever glue was on it got removed by the 91.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
I figured it was laserboard, a thick paper soaked in resin. But maybe not...

I believe that is how they (Joe?) described it when these cars were announced.

I wouldn't have thought about the alcohol doing that, but I can't say it surprises me.   I wonder if 70 would make a difference?   You shouldn't need 91 to strip MTL cars, at least in my experience.  I think if you just wave a bottle of 70 in front of the model the paint just falls right off.   :P   (there has to be a "your mom" joke in their somewhere...)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
Yeah I think 70 would probably do, but I already had 91 with some other stuff soaking. One thing I like about MTL, they are far and away the easiest to strip!