Author Topic: Control Panel Construction Insights  (Read 628 times)

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
Control Panel Construction Insights
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
Progress on my Grand Trunk Southern is at the point where I am looking at either constructing control panels or using SE8C stationary decoders.  I have reviewed a number of magazine articles as well as read Digitrax's info sheet on the decoders.  The stationary decoders certainly provide the advantage of allowing trains to be routed through a number of switches directly onto a staging track without any other electronic hardware being necessary.  Fairly simple installation.  The downside is that operationally it is not as intuitive as a control panel where one is looking at a diagram and throwing the appropriate switches to route the train. Control panels on the other hand, while being intuitive, also require that they be constructed in manner that is consistent with the overall appearance of the layout and require a certain amount of fascia space.  I am of two minds on how to proceed and I am looking for any insights that you can share with respect to:

a: control panel construction including materials used, ie. hardboard, plexiglass, painting, track diagram material, etc.
b: use of stationary decoders and their ease of operation or lack thereof.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Control Panel Construction Insights
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
This topic has been covered here few times. Here is one I posted in.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=32329

--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +151
Re: Control Panel Construction Insights
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
excellent, thankyou.