Author Topic: UPRR Geneva Sub Moving to Georgia  (Read 3230 times)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
Re: UPRR Geneva Sub Moving to Georgia
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
About two hours by I85 from Clemson; you'll really dig Atlanta; at some point if you have a free Saturday, go to the Great Locomotive Chase museum; lots of Civil War artifacts but the main attraction is a replica of the inside of a small steam locomotive builder; very neat, and CSX tracks and the old depot are right in the same vicinity
Welcome to the South  8)
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

CrazyLynx

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
Add to that:
1- the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth GA (north-east of Atlanta), right next to a NS mainline.
2- a short drive north to Chattanooga TN, with a lot of railroad history, and the Tennessee Valley Railroad main station, and regular excursions on NS mainline behind former Southern steam engines (630 and soon 4501)
3- a little further north, the Hiwassee River division of TVRM.  Mostly day-long trips along the Hiwassee River from Etowah TN to Copperhil TN (former L&N Old Atlanta Line), and strongly recommend, in particular the dome cars.  I regularly work on the head-end on that trip and absolutely love it.

and some great groups of modelers in the area, including some serious operations ones.

I hope you get settled in nicely and enjoy being a new resident in our area.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
Bummed to know one of my favorite layouts to visit via the web is coming to a close, but what a ride it was.

Stay UP. DO NOT give in to those boring Southern railroads!
Peter Pfotenhauer

Family Lines System

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
  Moving bites,, but hey,, new basement, new ideas.

Wyatt

Unless you're in my boat..moving from an area with basements (PA) to an area without basements (TX)..

:RUEffinKiddingMe:

Mike 

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +484
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
Bummed to know one of my favorite layouts to visit via the web is coming to a close, but what a ride it was.

Southern roads more boring than the Borg? CSX is always interesting and Norfolk Southern is just classy  8) :trollface:
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Bobster

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
Rochsub,

Welcome to the South.  After your last winter your gonna love ours.  In case it should ever snow you are required to go to the store and purchase milk and bread just before it hits.  Don't know why.  There is no snow removal equipment so stay home.  Those who go out after it starts may pack it down into ice, like one day last January.  The snow will be gone by tomorrow morning anyway.  Summer lasts from April to October.  Good excuse to go to the mountains or the beach.  I'm from Peoria, Illinois.  Been down South in NC since 1986.  That makes me a Da** Yankee but the way I look at it I'm glad I got here before it was too late!   

Now someone said Southern railroads are boring.  I beg to differ.  Where  else can you grab lunch, drive to a "Geyser", hop out of the car and eat your lunch next to the geyser while trains wind past you on 3 different levels.   I speak of Andrews Geyser near Old Fort, NC off I 40 just East of Asheville.  Just Northeast up the road a few miles is the Clinchfield loops (now CSX).   Spencer Shops, NC Transportation Museum, the ex Southern Repair shops is a bit further.   

Again welcome to the south,
Bob

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
It's good to start over, Daryl.  Take what you can, photograph the heck out of what's left.  When you land in Georgia, consider changing your prototype and scope in its entirety.  Southern Ry. in HO on a weedy branchline...  or maybe an Arkansas Traveler in the 1920s.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:36 AM »
Sucks to hear about taking it apart Daryl... but as some of us have pointed out. Starting over again can be great. I know you tore down the Geneva sub once, but now you can make it triplicate bettah!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 09:56:59 AM »
No basements in Tennessee either - except where there are!

That's a basement, folks!  If you seek, you shall find.  And assuming you had pretty good equity in the Rochelle house, you will be surprised what you can afford.  Is it my dream basement?  Nope.  Is is adequate?  Ohhh yeah!

We eagerly await the next chapter.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Can we look forward to your layout being a stop on the "Piedmont Pilgrimage" this fall?

What's the Piedmont Pilgrimage?  I doubt I'll have anything for this fall, but 2015 could happen.

Daryl

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »

I am staying with UP in the Midwest.   Depending on how big the basement is in our new house, I should be able to save 50% to 80% of the layout. 

Daryl